New Build, no output to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyPC

I just finished building a new computer (my first build)

Everything powers on: CD/DVD Drive, Motherboard lights up, Chipsetfan, CPU fan, Case fan, VGA card fan...they all spin.

Still there is no output to the monitor. The monitor acts like it is in sleep mode with the power button blinking. The monitor works on another PC, so I assume its not a bad monitor.

I am using:

Motherboard: Abit AN8 nForce4 Socket 939 Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core Socket 939 CPU
VGA: MSI GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT
RAM: 2 x Kingston 512MB Non-ECC, CL3 PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Case/ power supply: Premium Silver 2526 ATX 400w 20/24 pin Mid-T / Handle
Additional: 2 x Powmax Case Fan 120mm x 120mm
DVD/CD Burner: DRU-800A Internal Double/Dual Layer & Dual Format DVD Burner
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120022A 120GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
CPU Fan/ Heatsink: Thermaltake for AMD Athalon

I've seen the threads about a possible short on the motherboard, I will have to check that this evening and post back here.

Could the VGA be bad? Not enough power? (using a 400 watt ps that came with the case)

Bill

I can't help you, but I can say that the same thing happened to me, and I still haven't been able to fix it. I'm taking it to computer renaissaince today and let them do a free diagnostic. Merc helped me figure out that the motherboard could possibly be bad. However, check the forum labeled "6600 problem" and merc listed a ton of things you could do. They didn't help me, but they could help you.

We narrowed it down to "my mobo is effed up." Which it's brand new and from new egg, so I took it to computer renaissaince for a free diagnostic, i'll let you know what they say when I find out in a day or so.

Problem solved

After speaking with an experienced builder, he suggested that I reset the CMOS...for my motherboard, Abit AN8, I had to unplug all power cables from the motherboard, move the jumper cable from pins 1&2 to 2&3, let it sit for a few seconds, the move the jumper back to pins 1&2, then I plugged the power cables back in and powered on the system.....Wa La! The BIOS start up screen magically appeared....now it's time to load Windows XP Pro.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back