New build problems

bigredmachine

Hey guys, a while ago I posted a thread about building my first system and I finally have gotten around to it. I've run into a couple problems, however.

Specs:
Core i5 2400
MSI H67MA-E35-B3
4gb ram
1TB HD
GT450 graphics

First, and most concerning, when in the bios on first power up I see the cpu temp rise to 98 degrees Celsius..can this be correct?? cpu, heatsink, and fan where installed properly (i think), and this is just the first time it was powered on. What gives here?

Second, and this may be because of the first issue, windows 7 hits a kink and I get a bsod error: "page fault in nonpaged area"..what is this about?

This has turned out to be a frustrating project!

So what's reporting 100 C, the BIOS? Thinking the HSF is installed correctly, and it being installed correctly are two entirely different things. I'd give that another shot before I did anything else.

The bios is reporting 98C
HSF is secured and thermal paste was already applied on the HSF from the factory.
After powering down the system, the heatsink does not even feel warm. Case temps read in the 20s. The only reason I don't "know" the hsf is installed correctly is because of these temps.

HSF is secured and thermal paste was already applied on the HSF from the factory.
After powering down the system, the heatsink does not even feel warm. Case temps read in the 20s. The only reason I don't "know" the hsf is installed correctly is because of these temps.

Questions: Does your system shut-down at any given time or does it remain stable? Are you running any software in real time that monitors the temperature?

I am not sure if you should start a new thread in the BSOD forum or post them here but go ahead and post your minidump files here:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Route44: I have not been able to install windows. I was tried three different times to install windows. Each time I have received three differed BSOD errors:
First: Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
Second: Cache_Manager
Third: Bad Pool Manager

Could my memory be bad or not compatible with my mobo?
I researched the fan temp problem and it seems like some bios' report super high temps...I'm thinking this has to be the issue since it does not feel more than warm

Find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match? Is your RAM found on your motherboard’s memory recommendation list? Keep in mind these lists are not exhaustive.

If I read you correctly you built this system, right? I am wondering if you are in need of a BIOS update and/or the current BIOS is corrupt.

What is the make of your harddrive?

The HD is a Hitachi
I just checked the Patriot memory website and one of the FAQs states that Patriot "sector 5" memory is not compatible with the H67 chipset. Could this incompatibility be causing my errors?

Yes, I built the system. I was planning on a bios update when I got windows loaded but that has been slow going, obviously.

Thanks for guiding me to the answer (hopefully). I hit micro center tomorrow and get something compatible with the H67.

Glad to help. In my experience here at TechSpot memory issues are #1. I would say there issues lie in three ares: 1) corrupted memory and 2) almost a tie between worng memory for the motherboard and wrong volatge settings by the motherboard requiring manual settings in accordance with the designed specs.

When you go to Micro Center make sure you tell them of your issues so they can help you pick out the correct memory. Keep us updated.

Well not feeling warm is an indication that it isn't making good contact by my thinking. Shouldn't be burning but should be at least 35-40C.

Well not feeling warm is an indication that it isn't making good contact by my thinking. Shouldn't be burning but should be at least 35-40C.

I typed that wrong..what I meant by not feeling warm was that the exhaust air from the case fan was barely warm. After I shut down the computer and feel the heatsink it is warm but not scorching. When I feel the right side of the case, the area behind the cpu is warm, but again not hot.

Looks like the memory was the issue. Went to MC and got Corsair 4g, 1.5v. The patriot memory was 1.65v.
The bios was also reading the temps wrong. (i hope). Speedfan puts all cores in the mid 30sC at idle. This seems much more realistic

Looks like the memory was the issue. Went to MC and got Corsair 4g, 1.5v. The patriot memory was 1.65v.
The bios was also reading the temps wrong. (i hope). Speedfan puts all cores in the mid 30sC at idle. This seems much more realistic

Yes, that is realistic. Glad it is working out for you. Thanks for the update.

I'm still a little worried about the temps..at idle its in the 30s but when testing for a system rating in the windows control panel the temps got into the 70s. Is this normal?

I'm still a little worried about the temps..at idle its in the 30s but when testing for a system rating in the windows control panel the temps got into the 70s. Is this normal?

Were you doing anything when it climbed to those temps? What is your air flow like? How much thermal paste did you apply to the cpu?

When temps got into the upper 70s windows was just testing the system to determine a "system rating". I did this specifically to see how temps would react.
I did not apply any thermal paste to the cpu because the HSF came with it pre-applied.

I've got an intake fan in the bottom front, exhaust fan in the top rear, cpu fan, and graphics fan. All are functioning properly

70 C @ 100% CPU usage? That could be normal when using a stock CPU fan. I have an older i7 860, not overclocked. With the stock fan, the temp was in the low 30s C at idle and mid to high 70s @ 100% usage. Then I replaced that w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Now temp at idle is mid 20s, 40s during max CPU usage. Ambient temp on average 22C.

No crashes..I've been too afraid to let it go any longer to see how high the temp would get. I don't want to do any damage to the cpu if I can help it.

No crashes..I've been too afraid to let it go any longer to see how high the temp would get. I don't want to do any damage to the cpu if I can help it.

It might pay you to remove the heat sink pad and apply Arctic Silver.

When you remove the pad clean off the cpu gently using Isopropyl alchol of no less than 80% and contain swabs.

After it drys apply in the center of the cpu (non-pin side) a drop of Arctic Silver no larger than a rice kernel. Then reattach stock fan.

Problem is under control now...Took out the cpu and got a replacement at micro center just to be on the safe side. Put in the new cpu but took the pre-applied thermal paste off of the HSF and applied a thin verticle line of AS5 to the cpu as per the AS instructions. Temps now idle in the high 20s and have maxed out at 65 on one core under load. I plan on getting a replacement HSF from newegg sometime soon but I feel much better about the temps now.

Back