TechSpot

New computer advice

By Brighter Hell
Oct 20, 2008
  1. It's finally time to upgrade my computer. I use it mostly for general use, photo editing, and some gaming. I'm basically replacing the guts: motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card. The hard drive is good enough for now. Here's what I'm leaning towards:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 CPU
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 4670 video card
    G.Skill 2 GB PC2-8500 1066 MHz dual channel RAM

I think I've picked out everything to match. Any suggestions would be great, but I have a couple specific questions too:

-What do you guys think of G.Skill and Buffalo RAM? I've found both for decent prices. Crucial RAM with the same specs costs $20-$30 more at the vendors I'm looking at.
    -Right now I have an Enermax 460W power supply. Will that be enough to power the new system?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +42

I'd get at least 550 watts on the psu and G skill is okay, probably the best buy for the money as far as ram sells.....Buffalo NOT SO MUCH.

3. Bruce2

Bruce2 TS Rookie Posts: 117

Crucial $14/g with rebate @ buy.com. Also, Corsair and kingston are dirt cheap. For a reliable brand PSU, 500 watts is sufficient.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.