Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Brand new computer and something keeps beeping

Alright here's the deal, I just put together a new computer

MSI nForce2 k7n2-v
AMD Barton 2500+
Curcial 512mb PC2700
Fortron 350w PSU

Anyway eveyrhing seems to be working fine, until I try to play Prince of Persia. Graphics and everything look great, but the PC speaker keeps beeping. So I decided to turn off the PC beep in windows. Same result. So I decided to take it a step further, unplug the PC speaker. YEP YOU GUESSED IT, SOMETHING IS STILL BEEPING!!!!!!!:confused:

I've asked a few people and they suggested it might be the modem, but there isn't one in there.

What can be causing the beep to begin with? And why is there a secondary beep, and where is it coming from.

The beeping also started when I put in a screensaver off the ATI CD, once I started that it kept beeping, yet there was no sound coming out of the speakers. So this leads me to belive it is something with my vid card, but what could it be?

Any suggestions appreciated as it is driving me crazy.

Re: Brand new computer and something keeps beeping

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Alright here's the deal, I just put together a new computer

MSI nForce2 k7n2-v
AMD Barton 2500+
Curcial 512mb PC2700
Fortron 350w PSU

Anyway eveyrhing seems to be working fine, until I try to play Prince of Persia. Graphics and everything look great, but the PC speaker keeps beeping. So I decided to turn off the PC beep in windows. Same result. So I decided to take it a step further, unplug the PC speaker. YEP YOU GUESSED IT, SOMETHING IS STILL BEEPING!!!!!!!:confused:

when does the computer beep when you first boot or at random times? what happens if you boot into safe mode? do you still get a beeping sound? do you recieve one consesent beep, or is it one afetr another?

I've asked a few people and they suggested it might be the modem, but there isn't one in there.

What can be causing the beep to begin with? And why is there a secondary beep, and where is it coming from.

The beeping also started when I put in a screensaver off the ATI CD, once I started that it kept beeping, yet there was no sound coming out of the speakers. So this leads me to belive it is something with my vid card, but what could it be?

Any suggestions appreciated as it is driving me crazy.

When does the computer beep when you first boot or at random times? What happens if you boot into safe mode? Do you still get a beeping sound? Do you receive one consistent beep, or is it one after another?

Well, the only option for the system to beep (for most peolple) is the system speaker.

If you unplug it and it is STILL beeping, then you need to double check that it was indeed the system speaker you unplugged. Also, many newer boards/cases come with a little device which plugs into the system speaker pins. This is a self-contained speaker, which although small, still beeps. It's usually a small, black piece of plastic no larger than your thumbnail.

I would leave your case open and see if you can track the beeps by ear.

The beeps are coming from a peizo buzzer on the mobo, Poert and I figured that out in the irc channel, though he's still trying to figure out the cause of the beeps.

Yes thank you storm. To answer OS samurai's question about the type of beeping, I know it is from my piezo speaker, and it changes pitches. It beeps during boot up, but that's it. Like right now it isn't beeping. But as soon as I go to play Prince of Persia it will start beeping as if my speakers weren't connected and it was trying to play the sounds through the PC/piezo speaker.

So this is leading me to believe it is from the vid card somehow, but I have no clue how.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Yes thank you storm. To answer OS samurai's question about the type of beeping, I know it is from my piezo speaker, and it changes pitches. It beeps during boot up, but that's it. Like right now it isn't beeping. But as soon as I go to play Prince of Persia it will start beeping as if my speakers weren't connected and it was trying to play the sounds through the PC/piezo speaker.

So this is leading me to believe it is from the vid card somehow, but I have no clue how.

Ok thanks for the scarification, this is really strange

Does nobody else have an idea why this is? It is driving me crazy. Oh, and I have checked the temperatures of everything and they are good, I thought it might be a heat warning, but it isn't.

Remember that there normally separate bios settings for overtemp warning and overtemp shutdown. Check for other settings such as fan speed too slow, that you may have monitored by the bios. Check the 12v power connector on your graphics card if there is one.

Originally posted by Godataloss
do system sounds play normally? wav? or just games?

Yes, I can play sounds fine while in windows. Listening to mp3's right now.
Like I said before I think everything is running properly, and it seems that it is trying to play the sounds from the game through the PC speaker.

There are a few occasions when it will beep within Windows, but not a lot.

if you have any temperature monitoring programs running, it may beep constantly if your voltages drop down too far. that happened to me before when i was playing games. my mobo was reading the voltages the +3.3v rail incorrectly.

Hrmm, well I don't have any running in Windows, but I do have it monitoring in my BIOS. Maybe I'll find a program to install in Windows that will check voltages and temperatures, just to see what is going on.

Update, I'm not sure why this happened, but it did. I installed MBM5 and it has quit beeping. I made sure I turned off all alarms and warnings in that program to see if it was still BIOS related, but it no longer beeps. This is just mind boggling, oh well no more insanity.

I've had the same issue, whenever I play some of my video games, Civ 4, AOE 3, or WoW I get this beeping sound. It is consistent and very persistent. However I have found some ways around it. I usually hit the windows key to drop to the desktop and after 10 seconds of this the beeping stops. When I re-enter the game the beep starts up again after about 5 minutes. So I go through the process again... and again... and again.. Usually as I am dropping to windows I am also closing things related to ATi under my username in task manager. after 30-45 minutes of this the beeping just gives out. I will say this howefver... this did not starrt happening to me until my Noprton Antivirus software expired. i have yet to renew it.

If MBM installation stopped it from happening chances are it was a built in heat alarm from the BIOS.

patio. :cool:

Patio, yes I remember this problem. It turned out to by my processor was running a little hot from the build. I ended up getting some thermal paste and putting it on the processor to draw the heat out. All problems solved.

Also before I applied thermo paste, I just went into the BIOS and turned off all alarms and let it run hot for a while :p

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot s3xynanigoat:wave:

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback fellas, it is quite possible my thermal paste has worn off. This machine is about a year old. Again, thanks for the info I will try re-applying some paste tonight after work.

Before you get too carried away, take a look in the BIOS and see what your vitals are running at. Then make a determination from there.

I did not mention this in my first post, but the problem is not all the time. For instance... It is only after turning the computer off to move it's location. If I only reset the computer no problem, mostly. Again, as well, this problem only last for a little while.. maybe 30/45 minutes. For instance, I had no problem last night or the day before. When i moved it's location Friday night however, I had to deal with the beeping while I was in game. I am guessing that the original poster had this problem everyday. Through my experience heat problems don't just go away after 30 minutes of being on... voltage problems may or may not I'd suppose.

s3xynanigoat said:
I did not mention this in my first post, but the problem is not all the time. For instance... It is only after turning the computer off to move it's location. If I only reset the computer no problem, mostly. Again, as well, this problem only last for a little while.. maybe 30/45 minutes. For instance, I had no problem last night or the day before. When i moved it's location Friday night however, I had to deal with the beeping while I was in game. I am guessing that the original poster had this problem everyday. Through my experience heat problems don't just go away after 30 minutes of being on... voltage problems may or may not I'd suppose.

What caught my eye here is you mention moving the machine...this leads me to believe that in your example something is not seated properly...most common culprits: RAM chips, vid card, IDE and or power cables. Check them all.

patio. :cool:

OH MY GOD! I have the exactly same problem! i installed a new ati x850xt to play games, and since then whenever i play games i get a beeping sound. i though i needed a new power supply so i bought one, but it is still beeping! please how do i solve this. isn't there some way to see why it is beeping, while i am playing games, like going into a log of beeping in the computer or something like that. everything seems to run fine, so should i just try to turn off beeping?

also i ran while computer case was open and no beeping so i have a feeling it has to do with temperature

My problem was thermal related. I went ahead and disabled the internal beeping on thermal problems. Kept it like that for a few months then I replaced my heatsink and put new grease down. Problem solved.

I had the same problem with the computer beeping. It wasn't caused by the ATI 9800 Pro. The beeping was a warning that the CPU was overheating. The beeping would stop as the CPU cooled down and start again as it heated back up. The CPU runs much hotter while playing games. When idling, the CPU temperature was 41C. While playing games it increased to 60C. The bios was set to send a warning at 60C. I found out that the cooling fins on the heat sink were plugged with dust. I cleaned the heat sink with compressed air. My computer (a 3.2 GHz dual core) now idles at 35C. The temperature increases to 53C during game play, not high enough to trigger the beeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back