New computer, no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythior

I recently built myself a new computer, but there's no signal to the monitor.

The RAM works, the video card works, the motherboard has been switched, the CPU has been tested, I found another thread like this and I tired the suggestions there, disconnected the f panel connectors, dismounted the motherboard and laid it onto the static free bag. nothing seems to work.

Also, I wasn't sure, but do you have to install the OS and the drivers for the video card first before you can get visual through the video card? because the new mobo that I switched to has an inverted d-sub to normal, it has the male part instead, and I don't have a cable for that.

here are the main components:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Socket 775 (2.66GHz) FSB1333 6MB Cache
  • Crucial 2GB kit (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5
  • ASUS P5LD2-X/1333 i945GC Socket 775 6 channel audio ATX Motherboard
  • Asus 7600GS 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA TVO PCI-E Graphics Card

anyone have any ideas please?

EDIT: oh yea, and I've tested the monitor, it works fine.

The OS must be reinstalled if the motherboard has been swapped. There are a few ways to work around having to do that but you're better off with a clean install. Also, and this happened to me, Windows may need to be reinstalled for the new video card to work. I was trying to install a 7950GT in my XP machine and I had tried absolutely everything to get it to work. Right after I called the manufacturer to set up an RMA, I bit the bullet and tried a fresh install of Windows. The card worked perfectly once the drive was wiped and has been performing flawlessly ever since.

sorry, I don't think I made it clear, I know you have to reinstall the OS if you change the mobo, but that's not the problem.

this is a clean slate, it hasn't even had an OS installed yet, the problem is, I can't get any visual on my monitor, so I can't even sort out the BIOS or install the OS.

That's the problem, I can't install the OS because I can't see what I'm doing lol

I'm trying to use the display from the video card at the moment, my mon only supports VGA, but the output is also VGA so it should be fine.

and what I mean is, the VGA connector on the mobo is the jack as opposed to the socket, it has the pins coming out of it, rather than the blue piece of plastic with the holes in it.

do you get what I mean?

I'm not quite absolutely sure but I think you are looking at your serial port. That mobo has no onboard video.

yup lol you're right >_< sorry, I was an *****, I didn't even look at it properly >_<

there's no on board graphics :S

but anyway, I've pulled out the RAM, and the mobo beeps when I turn it on without RAM, so I know atleast the mobo is working. I've had the CPU tested and that works. I take it by the fact the mobo doesnt beep when the RAM is inserted that the RAM is working? am I correct in that assumption? the graphics card is working, as far as I know, so the only things left are the HDD and the power supply.

hhmm... also, does it matter what way round you put in the RAM, because it doesn't specify and my DDR2 seems to be able to fit in both ways :S with the chips facing left and with the chips facing right.. >_> not helpful.

only other thing is, the hard drive didn't come with a jumper, so I don't have anything to set it to master drive... but I wouldn't have thought that would affect the video output right?

There should be 1 beep during post to confirm that the bios checks went ok.

RAM modules are ONLY supposed to be insertable one way - if yours fully seat either way then you have problems.

see, that's what I thought :/

but, it seems to fit in one way a lot easier than the other way, so I guess that's likely to be the correct way round..

and no, mobo doesn't beep on start up. not when everything is connected up properly anyway.

There is a small 'notch' in the bottom of the ram module that matches a small 'cross-bar' in the ram socket.

I don't know how you overcame that safety measure but you may have shorted out your ram slots.

Well, as a guess, if the ram checked out BAD then yes, you could expect some beeps, but if the ram didn't check out at all due to internal circuit damage on the module or in the slot, then who knows!

Ah ok, thanks, is there any sure fire way of checking if I've screwed it up or not? you know.. without having to send it back to Ebuyer AGAIN >_< lol

I don't know beyond trying a combinatiion of new mobo and/or new ram BUT then you run the risk of damaging them too.

I could not find the p5ld2-x listed @ Asus. Other mobos with different '-suffix' caution that the PCB version be 2.0 or higher for the Core 2. What specs came with the mobo?

for rf6647, CCT has already linked the details of the motherboard above, in post 4.

so CCT, what do you think I should do now then? I don't have any other mobos or anything I can test it with. should I just send it back as faulty and see if they find anything? and should I also send back the RAM?
I really don't know what to do now.. :/

In your position I would send the mobo and ram back.

If successful in returning them, next time CAREFULLY install the ram.

gl

Success!

thanks a huge bunch CCT, it works now

truely I am grateful, now just waiting for the OS to install... -_- man windows is slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back