TechSpot

New Computer Suggestions?

By cfitzarl
Sep 4, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My parents bought a Vaio, and two days later it's being returned to the store after Sony told us it was running too hot, and the dvd drives were not functioning correctly, so I need suggestions for a computer both for me and them. Specifically, I need to find out the best quality brand of computer to buy (Hp, Sony :(, Dell, etc.). I am looking at a Dell Xps right now..... The budget is $1100.00
  2. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 278

$1100.00 USD?

If so, what's the computer for? Gaming, multimedia, surfing, etc?

What peripherals do you need? Mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer?

That would help in giving advice.
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

I would primarily use it for light gaming, and my parents use it to check email only, and to occaisionally go on a website.
  4. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 278

Will the $1100 need to include a monitor or a mouse or anything?
  5. cfitzarl

No, but I just called Sony, and they said they are going to sent a technition to out house, and replace certain components of the computer that are not working properly.
  6. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 TS Rookie Posts: 141

Build

I would build a computer. Get a good processor, good power supply, and some good cooling devices, and your set. The other things aren't so important. But definitley get them. If you are a moderate gamer, I would suggest a 7600GT video card. But if that turns out too expensive,(which i doubt it will), then get a 7300. I recommend an AMD X2 3800+ processor, or an Intel Pentium D. But if you can afford it, get the new Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor. That would last you a couple years. Make sure they are all compatible though. And buy it all from Newegg. I personally think Newegg is the best place to but pretty much anything from. Happy building.
  7. cfitzarl

I wanted to do that (that's how I got my computer), but my parents wanted to buy a brand name computer (they're not very technical).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.