New Computer Turns Off Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I'm a new PC builder and only know the very basics. I just built a new computer and at ran into a few problems. My specs are:
Case: Antec P180 (3 fans)
MB: Asrock 4coredual-vsta
CPU: Intel e4300 (1.8ghz)
RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR2 667
VGA: NVIDIA 7600 GS (edit2)
HD: 320GB Seagate IDE
PSU: Thermaltake 430W
I connected everything (don't know much about PSU, just connected them all, I'm a bit ignorant about the whole voltage thing) and at first it works fine. I let it load and do the disk format thing when installing XP and leave it on while I fell asleep. Few hours later the computer is off. I turn it on and it turns off a few seconds later with nothing on the screen. Tried turning it on around five times and the same thing happens. I leave it alone and look on the internet for some solutions and then tried again. The computer works fine for around 20 minutes and then shuts down again. I try again and then it shuts down few seconds later. I turn it on in the next hour and it lasts for 1-2 hours before shutting down again. I look online with people with similar problems and ones saying its the CPU, the other says its the PSU, motherboard or RAM. I don't know who to listen to. I downloaded Speedfan and Core Temp and ones telling me around 75C. I freak out, go to the BIOS and set the CPU clock speed down. Now its running at 1.20GHz and its still pretty high (speedfan:50C when idle 75C when load / coretemp: 67C when idle and 75C when load). I think its the CPU because when I installed it, I accidentally lifted the heatsink, maybe trapping air in the thermal grease. Also, the heatsink caps that lock onto the motherboard are not fully down because the other two won't go all the way down, even though its attached to the MB, just not securely.
Can anyone please tell me if its the MB, CPU, or PSU? Kind of low on cash and can only afford to buy some thermal paste to reattach the heatsink.
By the way, my computers running around 2 hours so far without shutting off completely.

Edit: One more thing.. everyone keeps mentioning the computer making beeps when it boots up but mines makes no noise. The only thing that makes noise is the DVD drive and the fans. The computer works though.

Remove the CPU's heatsink and clean all the thermal paste off. Apply new paste and assemble the heatsink on the CPU

I did that yesterday and it worked fine. I overclocked it to 2.43GHz though and around 1 hour into my game, the computer shut down again. The speedfan temp. was around 80C.
Right now, idle at 1.8GHz is around 44C. Is that normal? I'm hearing that this processor can be overclocked pretty high though.

You need a much better HSF (CPU heatsink/fan) or turn off the CPU protection feature in the motherboards BIOS... and fry your CPU

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what Maximum Cover Temperature is. Would the MB's CPU protection features keep the CPU from being damaged? I'd hate to buy a new one.

Anyway, the stock heatsink and fan should have been enough to overclock the CPU to 2.7Ghz according to the reviews on newegg.com. I'm not expecting to overclock that high but atleast on 1.8Ghz it shouldn't be reaching 45C when its idle. I think its the heatsink and fan which isn't securely attached causing the CPU to heat up because it isn't making full contact. Can anyone confirm this? I don't know what else could be the problem.

Edit: Also, I might of messed up with CPU installation and damage the pins or the CPU, would that lead to overheating?

i used to have the same issue. my computer used to get hot but also there was a process in the start up tab in msconfig that did it.. i just went thru the whole list googling the names and found it.

So your telling me that a process is running thats causing my CPU to overheat and my computer to shutdown? Its a brand new computer.. I'm sure its not a virus.

i didnt say its a virus and i didnt say it causes u to overheat. i jsut said i found a process under the start up tab that i didnt kno and i researched on the internet.. and i disabled it and my computer didnt turn off randomly.. mayb keeping my room cold also helped but ya..

Ok, can you tell me the name of the process? I just checked and couldn't find any weird ones and I don't want to disable the wrong one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back