New computer zapped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished building my new PC which just arrived, but when I turned it on, the fans ran for awhile, it made an almost inaudible beep, then it shut down. I unplugged the front panel USB connections and tried again, this time only fan LEDs came on then immediately off. Then I realized I hadn't plugged in the SLI bridge and did so, tried again, but again, only LEDs, and this time the PC made some sparking noises. I noted when I installed the CPU that it made a straining noise. I immediately stopped what I was doing and checked it, but it was properly aligned. I rechecked it several times. I may have bent the motherboard a little too much installing the heatsink and fan, I don't know. Is it OK to use the male power plugs that come from fans? I have no floppy drive. I have the mobo on SLI mode.
This is my first time building a PC. I saved for months for this thing, and I feel horrible. Please help.

Specs:

Case: Thermaltake XaserV Wingo V7000D
PSU: Enermax EG701AX-VE-SFMA Noisetaker 600W
CPU: Pentium 4 640
Motherboard: MSI P4N SLI
RAM: 4x Corsair CM2X512-5400C4 512MB DDR2-667 XMS2-5400
Video card: 2x BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC
Hard drive 1: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB SATA 10,000RPM w/8MB buffer
Hard drive 2: Western Digital Caviar WD800JD 80GB SATA 7200RPM w/8MB buffer

I set the mobo on non-sli mode, removed the second video card, and unplugged every front panel wire except power sw. Tried it again, nothing.

Hello

Welcome to the world of Computer maddness...
Looks to me like you did some home work.
You've got some very good equipment there.

I can only suggest a bare bones setup with clear cmos.
only the cpu, 1xvideo, one stick ram, psu just to get
you to a bios screen. Make sure nothing else is connected
by power or data cable..Hopefully you cam rma any bad componants.
Do you have the means to test any new parts on a diff machine?

I generally install the cpu/heatsink & fan outside the box
so I won't over flex the MoBo.
Post back to let us know.
G'Luck

Thanks a lot. I love you.

I live nowhere, so I don't have any other PCs to test my parts on. But I'm gonna try a bare-bones setup as you suggest. Unfortunately, I must run errands first...

Well, I ran it bare bones with a clear CMOS and still nothing. Except the fan LEDs; they stayed on this time, but they were sort of pulsing very slowly. Was that straining sound the CPU made when I installed it normal?

I discovered that my motherboard shipped chipped. I found bits of something plastic and green in the box, and thought little of it at the time, but I just noticed that a firewire connector had actually been shattered. I don't know whether to just RMA the mobo and hope everything else works fine, or to spend a little extra cash and have somebody diagnose the system. What do you guys think?

Ouch!

I would look into RMA'ing the MoBo, find out whats invovled...:eek:
What shape was the anti stat bag the MoBo shipped in and
the box or shipping box in when you got it?
It is starting to look like the MoBo might be it..
G'Luck

You could tell the box had been opened, and it was also slightly smooshed on one side. And plastic chunks from the mobo were outside the anti-static bag, so someone must have opened the bag. The CPU box was also slightly damaged, but with all the crap I did to the mobo, it's probably it. I already sent the RMA request and repackaged the mobo and everything that came with it. When I took out the CPU, it looked great; does that mean it's OK? Also, will I have to buy cooling compound, since the one that came with the CPU is half on the CPU now?

I'm also expecting a call from a tech guy who I may ask to check my parts.

Make sure you clean the CPU off before reinstalling with some rubbing alcohol. I'd recommend you get Arctic Silver thermal paste and follow application instructions on their web page.

chlorf said:
Also, will I have to buy cooling compound, since the one that came with the CPU is half on the CPU now?
Most likely the cpu is ok...
As Merc14 is suggesting, yes you need thermal compound.
We recomend cleaning of the heatsink & cpu with acetone or alcohol...
artic silver is what I use.
Man what a drag on the MoBo!! :dead:
G'Luck!! :bounce:

The problem was the motherboard, and all is well. Arctic Cooling MX-1 thermal compound and a replacement mobo will be arriving the day after tomorrow, and then everything should work. Thanks for the info, guys.

chlorf said:
The problem was the motherboard, and all is well. Arctic Cooling MX-1 thermal compound and a replacement mobo will be arriving the day after tomorrow, and then everything should work. Thanks for the info, guys.
Fantabulous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back