New computer?

By skitzo_zac
Aug 27, 2006
  1. I am planning on buying a new computer for next year. It will primarily be used for gaming.

I am undecided on what parts are better and to get. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

CPU - Athlon X2 4600 or Core 2 DUO E6400! they are both around the same price, and i am pretty sure that the Core 2 DUO E6400 is more powerfill than the X2 4600.

GPU - i am thinking a Radion X1900GT 256mb DDR3 from powercolor.

RAM - i will most propably be using DDR2 and i hope to get 2gb's of it. i am abit confused with all the numbers tho, higher MHZ is better right? what about the timings and latency tho???

HDD - higher cache is better right? i mean there is like no price difference between 8mb & 16mb chache hard drives. But what is the cache? wat does it do?

and finally can all LGA775 socket mobos run a core 2 duo? or does it have to be a new like core 2 duo enabled mobo?
  2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

Definitly go with the core 2 deuo and for ram the lower latncy the better, for the viedo card go for the x1800xt, its as good or better then the x1900gt
  3. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 160

I agree with Core 2 Duo. They need Intel 965 or 975 series northbridge motherboards, which are still socket 775. I believe asus has an nForce chipset out that supports SLi with Core 2 Duo. Get a X1900XT instead of the GT, much better performance there, although about $100 more. Bigger cache is better. Not much performance increase unless you get faster RPM (10,000/15,000), i.e., Hitachi's or Western Digital Raptors.
  4. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 418

k thanx for the info on the mobos! i would love to get a 1900XT over the GT but it is out of my price range id say! but by the time i actually buy this comp and build it hopefully the DX10 cards should be out, so then i will be able to get a better DX9 or maye even a low class DX10 card! and i heard that Intel is releasing Quad Core CPU's by the end of the year, so i could proly get a better Core 2 duo in that case cos prices would go down! And im definitely not getting a 10k hdd they r way to expensive!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.