New CPU - Shuts down during Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I have an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe motherboard that I recently removed my P4 2.4 GHz chip from and put in a new P4 3.0 GHz HT chip. When I turned the PC on, it immediately saw it and proceeded to boot...halfway through the boot, the PC shut off. I turn it back on, it starts to boot and shuts off even faster this time. I assumed it could be heat, so I made sure there was a good coating of compund, put the heat sink/fan back on and booted up...same problem...my old CPU still works fine.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Let me add that I did break the clamp around the fan and the seal between the CPU and HEAT sink may be bad...the CPU temp was around 180 F when it would shut off...however, my old CPU works even at that high temp...I am going to replace the fan clamp but I wonder if that will really fix the issue.

It really, honestly does sound like a PSU problem? What brand/model/wattage PSU do you have?

Regards,

Korrupt

OK..updated...with the help of good ole Super Glue, my fan clamp is fixed and firmly against the CPU...I am writing this on my PC with my new chip in...

So, is it safe to say it was shutting down due to heat? I am about 63 C right now but the heat sink is still pretty hot from when it wasn't firmly against the chip and duh, I forgot to plug the fan power back in.

So far, all is well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back