New cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick1974

Hi all, I've been having a locking up problem for sometime now, and I've come to the conclusion that it must be the cpu. I've replaced almost everything else and updated every driver. Still the bloody thing locks up, without warning. It can lock up after five mins or twelve hours, playing games or sitting idle, downloading anytime.
Anyways, if I replace the cpu, do i need to re-install windows or anything? Is it just a case of swapping one for another and boot up?

rick1974 said:
Anyways, if I replace the cpu, do i need to re-install windows or anything? Is it just a case of swapping one for another and boot up?

Yes you can change a CPU and windows won't be effected at all. No need of re-install.

CPUs usually not likely to be the one that goes out first. Your problem seems more likely to be:
1. Heat problem - Clean all the dust out and blow directly into the open case with a house fan to see if problem reoccurs.
2. Bad rams - Juggle the sticks around to see how it reacts. Also run ramtest may help.
3. PSU - PSU becomes unstable and it is about going out.
4. Mobo

Of course it is nice to have a healthy CPU or Mobo to swap in trouble shooting.

Let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

Hi, thanks for the advice, but the Mobo, PSU and memory are all new, well new ish. I've also replaced the hard drive. Still randomly locks up. Don't think it can be anything else. When it does lock up, the screen is whatever was on at the time i.e if the screen saver has cut in then it shows that. The hard drive led on the front of the tower stays lit. Everything is powered up, mouse, keyboard and the fans still work, just nothing on screen. Is there any free software out there that can diagnose or record what happens just before it locks up?

Per question in your PM on rather you should get a new CPU, I believe there are a couple of things you can try before spend the money if you have narrowed it down to where the problem seems to be.

For your lockup problem, I would check the CPU heat-sink fan to see if the bearing going out. When powered down, nudge the blades with a toothpick. If they jiggle to a stop, all is well. If they coast to a stop, the fan's bearing is dry and needs a relube to come back to full health. Easily done by peeling the label from the back, and maybe find a small rubber plug. Under that is the bearing. One or two drops of light machine oil such as 3-in-1 worked into the bearing by hand for a minute will do the trick.

Another is reapply thermal paste.

It is really a dilemma you have to decide for yourself. Let's say, if you replayed the CPU with the same model and then found out it is the mobo; you may want to upgrade the mobo instead of getting the same model which leads to the possibility of ending up with a better CPU. Which means you waste money on the previous brand new CPU. After that, you may learn that the problem is really the not so good quality, unstable PSU. And so on... HaHaHa!!!.. to the point you would wish you had never spent a penny trying to repair it instead building a brand new and better one. Just kidding. Wish you luck. Let us know how things go.

Hi thanks for the reply, this problem started over a year ago, so I thought it was the graphics card, I tried to upgrade it, and realised as it was a dell I could only get another poor rated graphics card. So I replaced the mobo so I could get a better card. Got everything up and running, but the problem was still there. Then I thought it was the psu, and replaced it. Again the fault was still there. Now more recent Ive replaced the hd and it's still locking up. You were right in the fact that I'd wished I had cut my losses at the mobo stage. Although the component aren't that expensive. I could really do with a laptop now I have a son to tend to. Don't really get time to play upstairs on a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back