TechSpot

New external HDD and Flash drive

By George4.2
Aug 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a new Maxtor One Touch III USB 2.0 500GB and a PNY attach'e 2GB Flash drive. Neither will work on my machine but will work on another machine.
    I can put a Impact 128MB flash drive in USB port and it will work, I have upgraded BIOS and all drivers but they will not work. I am running Windows XP PRO SP 2.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    George4.2
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

What is your machine? Particularly, the model number of the motherboard.
    We have been seeing a lot of USB challenges lately, unusual just a short time back.
    Check your BIOS, too, because some have found their USB disabled by default.
  3. George4.2

George4.2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Mother board is Elite 848P-ICH5 Ver. 1.
  4. raybay

Ok, you can put Elite 848P-ICH5 into a search engine and get a large number of reports on the board... On my quick look of a few pages, I saw no special reports on USB problems... but you might want to write your search as
    "Elite 848P-ICH5 +USB error"
  5. George4.2

ECS Elitegroum MB

I tried the search engines first and found nothing on USB problems either. I have contacted the manufactor and am going to try thir drivers.
    Thank You
    George4.2
  6. raybay

I don't know any who have just USB drivers, but try the full chipset, and replace all the drivers if you have the time. It often can be helpful to do that.
  7. George4.2

I spent most of yesterday doing that. I have lost sound now but that has happened before changing drivers.
    I understand that the Intel drivers should be installed in Dos but the newer drivers was windows based setup program.
    Thanks for your help this is turning into a monster.
    George4.2
  8. raybay

"I understand that the Intel drivers should be installed in Dos but the newer drivers was windows based setup program." Well, that is a stretch. All drivers are managed in Windows.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.