New external HDD and Flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Maxtor One Touch III USB 2.0 500GB and a PNY attach'e 2GB Flash drive. Neither will work on my machine but will work on another machine.
I can put a Impact 128MB flash drive in USB port and it will work, I have upgraded BIOS and all drivers but they will not work. I am running Windows XP PRO SP 2.
Any help would be appreciated.
George4.2

What is your machine? Particularly, the model number of the motherboard.
We have been seeing a lot of USB challenges lately, unusual just a short time back.
Check your BIOS, too, because some have found their USB disabled by default.

Ok, you can put Elite 848P-ICH5 into a search engine and get a large number of reports on the board... On my quick look of a few pages, I saw no special reports on USB problems... but you might want to write your search as
"Elite 848P-ICH5 +USB error"

ECS Elitegroum MB

I tried the search engines first and found nothing on USB problems either. I have contacted the manufactor and am going to try thir drivers.
Thank You
George4.2

I don't know any who have just USB drivers, but try the full chipset, and replace all the drivers if you have the time. It often can be helpful to do that.

I spent most of yesterday doing that. I have lost sound now but that has happened before changing drivers.
I understand that the Intel drivers should be installed in Dos but the newer drivers was windows based setup program.
Thanks for your help this is turning into a monster.
George4.2

"I understand that the Intel drivers should be installed in Dos but the newer drivers was windows based setup program." Well, that is a stretch. All drivers are managed in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back