New FAA rules that ban drones from flying near military facilities arrive this week

midian182

Staff member

As commercial and hobby drone use become increasingly popular, more rules and regulations are being introduced to regulate Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). The latest restrictions will begin on Friday, April 14, banning unauthorized drone flights over military bases across the US.

The Federal Aviation Administration’s updated regulations bars any UAS from operating above 133 Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps facilities, most of which are located in the South and along the East coast.

Anyone without special permission from the FAA or the military who flies a drone within 400 feet of a facility could face civil penalties and criminal charges. If you’re a drone owner who’s worried about accidentally invading military airspace, here’s a map showing the areas to avoid.

The government says that more airspace restrictions may follow. It is looking at "additional requests from federal security and intelligence agencies" to restrict drone flights over critical infrastructure and other facilities, according to Ars Technica.

Aviation officials predict that there will be more than 3.5 million hobbyist drones in the US by 2021, up from 1.1 million at the end of last year. The commercial fleet is also expected to grow, from around 42,000 in 2016 up to 442,000 in four years’ time.

The US isn’t the only country where rising drone ownership is causing problems. In the UK, the number of police reports involving a UAS has increased twelve-fold over the last two years. Drones are increasingly being used for drug smuggling, spying, and to plan house robberies.

You can find out more information about drone regulations on the FAA’s UAS website.

Permalink to story.

Maybe they'll scramble a squadron of Nighthawk stealth fighters armed with nuclear warheads to shoot the drone down and send a flight of A10 Warthogs armed with 30mm cannon after the pilot, just to be on the safeside.
I would've thought military airspace would've been the first airspace, after the White House airspace to be secured and to ban private, camera toting drone interference... then next critically, nudie beaches. Possibly also adding international airports to the list at a later date, after say... losing a few commercial airliners along with all passengers and crews.

Maybe they'll scramble a squadron of Nighthawk stealth fighters armed with nuclear warheads to shoot the drone down and send a flight of A10 Warthogs armed with 30mm cannon after the pilot, just to be on the safeside.
I would've thought military airspace would've been the first airspace, after the White House airspace to be secured and to ban private, camera toting drone interference... then next critically, nudie beaches. Possibly also adding international airports to the list at a later date, after say... losing a few commercial airliners along with all passengers and crews.

That's some pretty creative hyperbole there.

My money is on trained and mind-controlled squadron of pigeons. These rat birds are disposable and breed like no tomorrow.

I'm guessing Grooms Lake will be right at the top of that list too! Not to mention a few other "select" location ..... LOL

My money is on trained and mind-controlled squadron of pigeons. These rat birds are disposable and breed like no tomorrow.
I'd rather save those for highly confidential and top secret messages. It's a lot safer than using high security, 2048 bit AES encryption, every hacker worth their salt seems to able to crack that in their sleep these days.

Heads up, this map isn't complete. In just a couple minutes, I found that it doesn't list the Naval Ship yard in Portsmouth, NH or Otis Air Force Base on Cape Cod in MA. There are probably more that didn't get marked on the overlay.

These places are marked in red on the map background, but aren't highlighted on the map overlay. So be sure to actually zoom in on the areas you're curious about.

Back