New Graphics Card and PSU: Screen stays black

By Aindreas
Jul 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello there, I bought a new graphics card (Radeon HD7770) and PSU (Corsair CX500M). After installing I plugged my PC back in but the screen stayed black (no signal whatsoever). I checked whether all cables were connected properly, and tried again, no change. Then I got a different monitor and switched from HDMI to VGA, still no improvement.
    So I put the old PSU and graphics card in thinking I need to install it first, but now the screen stays black on the old PSU and Graphics card. I tried with no graphics card and connected to the inbuilt VGA connection (on motherboard), but still nothing. I have tried to reboot bios by taking out the battery and additional memory, but still nothing.
    I now have the new PSU and Graphics card in the PC, and have tried every cable connection possible. I turned on the PC with the 4-pin CPU power cable plugged out one time to see if it made any difference, and it sounded different (though all the fans were working).
    I am at the end of my knowledge and could use some help.
    Is it the PSU, the Graphics card, the Motherboard, something else?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,741   +156

Did you connect the power supply to the new graphics card using the connector marked PCIe?
  3. Aindreas

Aindreas Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yes, there was only one cable that fits in both the PSU and the Graphics card, and PCIe is written on it.
  4. Tmagic650

If you have more than 1 PCIe slot, is the video card installed in the slot closest to the CPU?
  5. Aindreas

Aindreas Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Issue Solved!

Tmagic650, thank you very much for you time!! I only have 1 PCIe slot, but eventually found a solution.

I fixed the issue by doing several things simoultaneously, so I dont know which one was the problem:
    1. I placed a jumper over the clear CMOS location on the motherboard. I found a nice video showing how by typing in 'clear CMOS location' in google and clicking on the first video. (edit: was going to post link here but it wasnt working)
    2. I booted the PC, which showed no change, so I switched the CMOS back the way it was (it should have reset by then)
    3. I removed ALL the memory in the PC, and replaced one of them only (I have a feeling this was the solution, but cant be sure).
    4. I got a different power lead from my PSU to the mains socket.
    5. Before starting it again, I found the speaker for the motherboard and attached it.
    6. Booted PC and all is fine. I do not know which step(s) solved the issue, so if you have a similar problem give them all a try.
  6. Tmagic650

Thanks for the update and good luck:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.