New graphics card

fimbles

Looking for a graphics card to upgrade from my gtx 460s in SLI.

My budget is around 200-250 uk pounds. ( 3 to 4 hundred dollars I think :p )

Looking at these cards

MSI r9 280x: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...dr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1050mhz-2048-streams-hd

Zotac gtx 670: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...z-gddr5-gpu-954mhz-boost-1033mhz-cores-1344-d

I will be running on an older build until I buy a new motherboard/processor/ram bundle later in the year.

It will be running with a phenom 965 be @ 3.8 ghz, and this motherboard at pcie 2 x16

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3NHT_DeluxeMempipe/

Also looking at the gtx 760 as an option or any gpu in the price range.

Battlefield 4 @ 1080p is the reason for the upgrade so mantle will be a consideration. If it works of course :)

Any suggestions welcome :)

Sorry about the delay.

Pretty much followed your advice.

This should arrive tomorrow:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...pu-1098mhz-boost-1150mhz-cores-1536-dport-dvi

Its going to be a very interesting build until I get a new cpu, mobo next year. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Well the good news is that BF4 is not too CPU dependant and utilizes multi-threading among other things very well so your 965 will suffice. That video ard you selected will get you some good 1080p performance for sure.

I borrowed my brothers evga gtx 670 ftw edition (1215 boost) and used the perfoverlay.drawgraph command in battlefield 4.

Cpu usage was well under gpu usage, running at about 60% load on all cores.

I was proud of the old girl :p

Though Im guessing, skyrim and crysis 3 will probably be a different story..

New card arrived this morning!

Wont work dammit. Thought it was DOA but after returning it to the store for testing it worked perfectly.

Shop assistants had no idea why it would not work, and im stumped too as the only system requirement is pcie x2 16
Tried in 2 pcs, One locked at the bios flash screen, one booted to windows but reported an unrecognised device.

I have read there may be some compatibility issues with vbios cards and non uefi motherboards, both motherboards I tried are older and non uefi.

Anyone have any experience with this?

New card arrived this morning!

Wont work dammit. Thought it was DOA but after returning it to the store for testing it worked perfectly.

Shop assistants had no idea why it would not work, and im stumped too as the only system requirement is pcie x2 16
Tried in 2 pcs, One locked at the bios flash screen, one booted to windows but reported an unrecognised device.

I have read there may be some compatibility issues with vbios cards and non uefi motherboards, both motherboards I tried are older and non uefi.

Anyone have any experience with this?

When you get to windows, have you tried installing NVidia Geforce Experience? The old drivers maybe confused with the new card, I would try uninstalling all the GeForce experience drivers and picking the latest beta for your card and go from there.

When you get to windows, have you tried installing NVidia Geforce Experience? The old drivers maybe confused with the new card, I would try uninstalling all the GeForce experience drivers and picking the latest beta for your card and go from there.

On the first pc the system would boot until the asus splash screen where you press delete to enter bios, At this point the keyboard would stop working and the computer would boot loop every 30 seconds so you are unable to even enter bios. For this reason I don't think it was a driver issue.

On my second pc the system booted in to windows, But was unable to locate a driver for the video card. The card showed as unrecognised device in device manager.

Both pcs had the latest versions of NVidia drivers (331.65) before I installed the GTX 770, And are the recommended drivers for the 770.

I had no issue switching from gtx 460s in sli to an gtx 670 without a fresh driver install around a week ago.

Thanks for the suggestions, But I have returned the card to the shop and swapped for a 670, Hoping I have no compatibility problems.

Good luck with that one, however im confused as to why there would be an issue with a 770, hopefully this card will be without fault. I still wonder if there was an issue with the 770 itself specifically.

Well, I got the 670 and it has the same problems.

Will only post in the middle pcie slot, I have 3. I am guessing the 770 would have worked in the middle slot also, but I did not try it.

I am blaming a mobo fault, Though a gtx 460 and a gtx 275 I tested both work fine in any slot..

Strangest problem I ever had:)

That's quite odd, your PCI-E lanes may have gone bad, its happens and they may just be shoeing age or something. Sorry to hear that, maybe its just telling you its time to upgrade :p

Back