New hard drive in Toshiba laptop

By allie181
Mar 24, 2007
  1. I have a Toshiba 1800 series laptop. The hard drive died. I just purchased a new one (a Samsung 2.5" 80gig). I have physically installed the new hard drive into the laptop. I assumed that once I did that all I'd have to do was boot from the laptop recovery disk and everything would work itself out. I'm obviously wrong because this hasn't worked. :eek:

When I turn the laptop on I get the following message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 077)
    Copyright (C) 1997, 1998, 1999 Intel Corporation
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
    Insert system disk in drive
    Press any key when ready​

Immediately when I turn the computer on I can press F2 to go to the boot selection menu. If I choose this I get the following message:
    Select boot device:
    C: CD ROM
    N: Network (LAN)
    F: HDD
    B: Built in HDD
    D: Default system setup device
    Press C, N, F, B, or D​

I've tried choosing each option but I just end up getting that other message that I've typed above.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing and if so can you explain it to me in fairly simply terms? Or would I be better off just taking the laptop to a store to fix it?

Thanks in advance. :grinthumb
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

You will need to partition and format the new drive in order for the computer to see it. Take it to a computer shop. They will have it up and running quickly for you. Good luck...
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

the media test failure indicates the drive is not seated properly. Did you use the plastic pin adapter off your old drive onto the new one?

reseat and re-install the drive. I have just done this on my toshiba recently with the same issue. You need to use the adapter.
  4. allie181

allie181 TS Rookie Topic Starter

There isn't a plastic pin adaptor on my old drive. The old drive looks identical to the new one. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

I think I'll just take tmagic's advice and take it into a shop. Hopefully they don't rip me off too much :suspiciou
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

disable boot from network in bios
    though most times I ignore this warning it goes away and finishes loading
    the first thing your seeing is a prompt to boot from network adapter
    if this is sata you need to install drivers software for new system
    with recovery disc in do a dir/p check for I386 files and or some type of setup files
    setup.exe ???

good luck
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.