New hard drive in Toshiba laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba 1800 series laptop. The hard drive died. I just purchased a new one (a Samsung 2.5" 80gig). I have physically installed the new hard drive into the laptop. I assumed that once I did that all I'd have to do was boot from the laptop recovery disk and everything would work itself out. I'm obviously wrong because this hasn't worked. :eek:

When I turn the laptop on I get the following message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 077)
Copyright (C) 1997, 1998, 1999 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Insert system disk in drive
Press any key when ready​

Immediately when I turn the computer on I can press F2 to go to the boot selection menu. If I choose this I get the following message:
Select boot device:
C: CD ROM
N: Network (LAN)
F: HDD
B: Built in HDD
D: Default system setup device
Press C, N, F, B, or D​

I've tried choosing each option but I just end up getting that other message that I've typed above.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing and if so can you explain it to me in fairly simply terms? Or would I be better off just taking the laptop to a store to fix it?

Thanks in advance. :grinthumb

You will need to partition and format the new drive in order for the computer to see it. Take it to a computer shop. They will have it up and running quickly for you. Good luck...

the media test failure indicates the drive is not seated properly. Did you use the plastic pin adapter off your old drive onto the new one?

reseat and re-install the drive. I have just done this on my toshiba recently with the same issue. You need to use the adapter.

Tedster said:
the media test failure indicates the drive is not seated properly. Did you use the plastic pin adapter off your old drive onto the new one?

reseat and re-install the drive. I have just done this on my toshiba recently with the same issue. You need to use the adapter.

There isn't a plastic pin adaptor on my old drive. The old drive looks identical to the new one. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

I think I'll just take tmagic's advice and take it into a shop. Hopefully they don't rip me off too much :suspiciou

disable boot from network in bios
though most times I ignore this warning it goes away and finishes loading
the first thing your seeing is a prompt to boot from network adapter
if this is sata you need to install drivers software for new system
with recovery disc in do a dir/p check for I386 files and or some type of setup files
setup.exe ???

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back