TechSpot

New HD Win XP

By liljackhank
Nov 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. i am trying to install windows xp on a new hd on acer aspire 5542 3Gig ram:dead:

windows loads files until it gets to starting windows and the comes up with an error 0x00000e9 and quits it will not go any father.

i have tried to use recovery disks for and a ligit copy of windows xp

i have tried Alt - F10

i cant get to where i can do a chkdsk /F

as it stops before that

i also get memtest.exe failed or corrupted but i put that memory into other laptop and it works great....

does anyone have any suggestions...it will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,420   +77

Using the XP install CD,
    1>Please insert the Install Disc into the tray and restart the computer.
    2>When you see " press any key to boot from the cd ", please press any key.
    3>After that please click on the " repair your computer" option.
    4>Now select " command prompt" and type the command ( chkdsk /r ) which will repair all the corrupted files.The computer will restart once the process is done.Please try to do the updates one at a time.

3. liljackhank

liljackhank TS Rookie Topic Starter

i can not even get to that part
    once it get to starting windows screen it goes to a blue page with errors ... 0x00000e9
    i will try that again
    Thank you

4. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

gbhall, those are Vista instructions. With XP you press R at the first prompt to do so. liljackhank, you may try putting this in the BSOD forum if it is a stop error (BSOD). The telltale sign is a blue screen with something like "Windows has encountered an unrecoverable error and has shut down to preserve your data."

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Has the install actually completed?

Your description makes me unsure whether your trying to say it is causing a BSOD when it is loading the Windows files off of the Windows XP CD (the first part of the installation), or whether you mean the setup completed, but is causing a BSOD during the OS booting up.

If its the first issue and your hard disk is SATA, its could be likely that the problem is relating to a lack of SATA drivers causing the installation to kill itself with a BSOD. I've experienced it many times before myself.

If possible, try changing the hard disk mode in BIOS to legacy or IDE, or whatever the setting is besides SATA/AHCI mode. Then try the install again.

If nothing will work, you could do something else. Install the hard disk as a second hard disk, and use your current OS install on your old hard disk to run Windows. Then use something like Acronis to-do backup or similar to make a image of the current hard disk, and restore it to your new hard disk. If your model is a laptop, you can do the same thing through USB external drive enclosures.

Then if you wish to have a fresh install you can just use the recovery console and do it through the hard disk.