TechSpot

"NEW" HDD and no My Documents :(

By HitmanAngel2k3
Jul 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, i've built a new PC and tried to use a HDD from old pc, that HDD is 80 GB Western Digital, and it won't boot up from it. So i went to best buy and bought a new one and reinstalled Windows XP, and hooked up Western Digital as a slave, but now i cannot find any of my "my document" files. Can anyone explain where can i find them manually or how could i fix the problem? Thank you in advance.
  2. F4Rid

F4Rid TS Rookie

did you try looking on *:/documents and settings/your old profile name/my documents/

it should be there.

*whatever the drive letter on the western digital is now.
  3. HitmanAngel2k3

HitmanAngel2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 107

Duh!!! lol didn't even think about it lmao thanks for the advice lol :grinthumb
  4. HitmanAngel2k3

tried going into my old profile...and it says "Acess Denied"...what cud be going on there?
  5. F4Rid

F4Rid TS Rookie

right click on the folder and click on properties. in the properties window click select the security tab and then click on the advanced tab. in the advanced window click on owner and select your profile name and check the replace owner on subdirectories and objects and click ok. that should do it, giving you access to change the security options and give yourself access.
  6. HitmanAngel2k3

thank you once again :) will try that and let know on progress :)
  7. HitmanAngel2k3

i've tried doing that...and it lets me get into "documents and settings" folder, but not into "my documents"...what else could i do?
  8. HitmanAngel2k3

anyone
    -=BUMP=-
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.