New HDMI 2.1 specifications: up to 8K/10K resolutions, 4K at 120Hz, Dynamic HDR

midian182

Staff member

The HDMI forum has just released specifications for the new HDMI 2.1 protocol. It introduces a slew of new features, including support for Dynamic HDR, 4K120, 8K60, and Game Mode VRR.

Hitting those higher resolutions and refresh rates will require a new 48 Gbps cable, which even allows 10K and high dynamic range to work with 8K (when the sets are available). The cable is backward compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI specifications (1.3, 2.0a), but these won’t support the latest version’s features.

HDMI 2.1 supports 8K60 – 7680 x 4320 at 60Hz – along with 4K120, which is 4096 x 2160 (true 4K) or 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD) at 120 Hz. Both variations of 4K are limited to 60Hz when using the current HDMI 2.0a specification.

One of the protocol’s highlights is Dynamic HDR, which sends HDR information to a video on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis rather than just at the beginning. The technology allows a video to be displayed  “at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts.”

Game Mode VRR, meanwhile, is a function similar to the G-Sync/Freesync technologies found in PC monitors. It introduces a variable refresh rate to reduce lag, stutter, and screen tearing. The HDMI forum says that Game Mode VRR will work with both PCs and game consoles.

HDMI 2.1 doesn’t just bring visual upgrades; it also adds support for advanced audio formats such as object-based audio.

The forum writes that the new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.

Permalink to story.

2.0 Already supports DTS:X and Dolby Atmos - I.e., object based audio formats, so technically, it is not new to 2.1. Object based audio formats are an encoding scheme, that are not necessarily as data intensive as 8K or other video formats - so you do not really need to have the bandwidth offered by 2.1 to support them.

It will be great if they can actually accommodate this with a firmware upgrade - I.e., we won't have to buy new hardware; however, I will be surprised if all manufacturers of 2.0/2.0a compliant hardware, including things like BR players and HT receivers, supply that firmware upgrade since it will most likely mean decreased hardware sales.

2.0 Already supports DTS:X and Dolby Atmos - I.e., object based audio formats, so technically, it is not new to 2.1. Object based audio formats are an encoding scheme, that are not necessarily as data intensive as 8K or other video formats - so you do not really need to have the bandwidth offered by 2.1 to support them.

It will be great if they can actually accommodate this with a firmware upgrade - I.e., we won't have to buy new hardware; however, I will be surprised if all manufacturers of 2.0/2.0a compliant hardware, including things like BR players and HT receivers, supply that firmware upgrade since it will most likely mean decreased hardware sales.
Most likely not since a new cable is needed.

Why does HDMI exist?
Probably because they can update it so they can sell more cables over the years.

Because surely a Fiber Optics Cable could have been the chosen cable from the start for the HD standard several years ago. It would have needed no updating of any kind to support more data or new standards/features. It is far more versatile than HDMI since it can benefit from DWDM (invented in 1974)

DENSE-WAVELENGTH MULTIPLEXING (DWDM):
Combines multiple optical signals into a single fiber by transmitting each signal on a different wavelength. DWDM is used to increase the capacity of existing fibers without adding more fibers to the system.

Last edited:
Why does HDMI exists?
Probably because they can update it so they can sell more cables over the years.

Because surely a Fiber Optics Cable could have been the chosen cable from the start for the HD standard several years ago. It would have needed no updating of any kind to support more data or new standards. It is far more versatile than HDMI.

DENSE-WAVELENGTH MULTIPLEXING (DWDM):
Combines multipleoptical signals into a single fiber by transmitting each signal on adifferent wavelength. DWDM is used to increase the capacity of existingfibers without adding more fibers to the system.
I suspect ti's mostly due to its ability to copy-protect content so you can't pirate... of course, there are numerous ways around it now...

I suspect ti's mostly due to its ability to copy-protect content so you can't pirate... of course, there are numerous ways around it now...
LOL,
Like a Fiber Optics signal, that is digital as well, couldn't be encrypted with the same copy protection HDMI uses.
Your response is wrong
"Dig up Stupid"

LOL,
Like a Fiber Optics signal, that is digital as well, couldn't be encrypted with the same copy protection HDMI uses.
Your response is wrong
"Dig up Stupid"
You asked why it existed... HDMI came with copy-protection built in.... Of course it could have been built into anything else.... But it wasn't!

You asked why it existed... HDMI came with copy-protection built in.... Of course it could have been built into anything else.... But it wasn't!
You seem to think the copy protection comes from the cable. It does not. The encryption to prevent copy or even the display (HDPC) is done by hardware before it is sent to the cable (or it is already encryted on the disk), then it is decrypted by the device that must have the correct HTPC compliant firmware to decrypt it. Thus the same thing could have been achieved with consumers devices using Fiber Optics had they wished to. They chose not to do that, and that's lame IMHO.

You seem to think the copy protection comes from the cable. It does not. The encryption to prevent copy or even the display (HDPC) is done by hardware before it is sent to the cable (or it is already encryted on the disk), then it is decrypted by the device that must have the correct HTPC compliant firmware to decrypt it. Thus the same thing could have been achieved with consumers devices using Fiber Optics had they wished to. They chose not to do that, and that's lame IMHO.
Of course I don't think it comes from the cable.... I was talking about the HDMI STANDARD.... Which comes with copy protection.... The cable came with the standard - and changes after various iterations of the standard, hence, while the new 2.1 cable will be backwards compatible with 2.0, 1.4, etc, you won't be able to use an old cable with the new standard and get all the new features...

Yeah sadly will require all endpoints to be upgraded. The chips in receivers etc are rarely of the performance or specs necessary to handle forward specs so firmware upgrades aren't really part of the picture. If you have receivers, often you have hardware decoding and 8K/10K is a pretty hefty performance penalty over 4k.

I think they just assume that firmware upgrades are only possible on devices with gold plated 4k performance and disregard that as 99% of the market is only going to do what is needed for 4k not future proofing for specs they don't know about or even know they could meet. And how could they?

you won't be able to use an old cable with the new standard and get all the new features...

We'll see about that, my nearly decade old 50 foot HDMI, which I believe to be a V1.3 but may be a V1.2, works perfectly fine at V2.0 spec. Unless they plan on adding more conductors to the existing cable I strongly suspect existing high quality cables will work just fine.

I just don't understand why they can't just move past HDMI already and switch to DisplayPort... Fine HDMI has finally caught up to DP, but at what cost? Potentially replacing all your existing cables, if that's the case transitioning to a new connector might have been a better solution.

The cable itself does nothing to stop copying. Its each controller. So fiber could be made to work
Yes... But it's already there.... When HDMI was made, no one else was putting copy protection straight into their protocols... Now it's done, and switching to yet another standard doesn't look like it's going to happen...

Why does HDMI exist?

Because surely a Fiber Optics Cable could have been the chosen cable from the start for the HD standard several years ago. It would have needed no updating of any kind to support more data or new standards/features. It is far more versatile than HDMI since it can benefit from DWDM (invented in 1974)
This! Soon enough copper will be at its limit. Problem with fiber is the normal consumer wont know how to keep a fiber end clean. Then we run into many other issues. Or bending it too Far.

Yes... But it's already there.... When HDMI was made, no one else was putting copy protection straight into their protocols... Now it's done, and switching to yet another standard doesn't look like it's going to happen...
Right I agree. But u have to admit they make more revisions or hold back tech to keep us buying more. No reason hdmi should be behind in tech on displayport. Displayport came to the game after them.

Right I agree. But u have to admit they make more revisions or hold back tech to keep us buying more. No reason hdmi should be behind in tech on displayport. Displayport came to the game after them.
Oh I don't LIKE HDMI... I was just answering the question of "Why does HDMI exist"...DisplayPort is superior in my opinion...

Current cables are already obsolete, you can't do 4K@60fps 4:4:4 with HDR :/

Game Mode VRR sounds really interesting, G-Sync makes monitors so damn expensive.

Back