New images of Steam's revamped UI leak

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It’s been years since Steam received a major overhaul of its UI design, but Valve is working on a revamp. Now, thanks to some leaked images, we have a better idea of what that might look like.

The images come from Twitter account Steam Database, which said they were accidentally leaked through an update to the Chinese Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Launcher. Assuming this is the real deal, it definitely appears to be an improvement over the current version of the platform, which is looking a bit dated these days.

While certain elements remain unchanged, the screenshots reveal a sleek new library section featuring large thumbnails for each owned game. It also shows a list of recently played titles, and the complete collection is sorted by ‘favorites first.’ There’s even a slider to alter the cover size.

Going into an individual game’s page, in this case it’s Euro Truck Simulator 2, we see workshop content is at the top, while its DLC is placed down the right-hand side. There’s also a notification letting users know the game has been updated since it was last played.

One pretty cool new effect comes as part of Steam’s trading cards. Moving the mouse pointer over an individual card will see it pop up off the page, which is quite stylish.

Back at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in March, Valve previewed an official redesign of the Steam library, which emphasizes game updates. It highlights instances where new characters, game modes, or other changes have been added to a title. The newly leaked images do resemble what Valve showed off, so they appear to be genuine.

The changes to Steam are expected to arrive this year, probably sometime during the summer.

Permalink to story.

Who'd have thought that one day the most exciting thing to come out of a once great game developer like Valve...would be a UI revamp.

....How the mighty have fallen
yeah true story, but someone still trying to get back the old Classic green UI :D

One coming in question, do we have the option to turn it off this card/tile style in the future and go back what we have now or something similar? Less cluttered, and to be honest, I don't really need a huge cards/tiles in my library. If not then it is time to find a cool theme for steam...

Like more lipstick on a pig but they fail to understand that they might have the best looking platform in the world, it's the product that brings people back!

Steam currently looks a bit outdated but who really cares? Library panel looks the same and game info in the middle is something I never read or care about. Overall it's not that different. I don't think it needs a UI revamp considering how awful other launchers look.

Steam currently looks a bit outdated but who really cares? Library panel looks the same and game info in the middle is something I never read or care about. Overall it's not that different. I don't think it needs a UI revamp considering how awful other launchers look.
The new UI should allow them to add new features in the future and keep things fresh.

Who'd have thought that one day the most exciting thing to come out of a once great game developer like Valve...would be a UI revamp.

....How the mighty have fallen
Well, if it ain't broke, why fix it? I guess they're simply just trying to make the UI fresh again, and I'm for the most part OK with that.

Looking at these picture it seems to me like these were made prior to those thsat Valve has already showed officially. At least they seem to be a step back compared to the latter in both appearance and functionality.

That's the problem with developers. They should make it more friendly and simpler for casuals not more bloated for all. Outdated doesn't equal bad.

I basically don't use Steam. I've deleted good 75% of games I had there. Hardly using it as such - playing ME1 campaign from time to time. Steam as a platform is still vastly superior to abomination as Origin, but...

It is extremely annoying to folks who aren't "Pillars of Community" or other nonsensical names. What I would add to Steam is Basic mode. Just Store, LIST of games, Support; Done. No Chat, no "Friends" functions, no "Challenges", Gems and other gibberish. No VR, No pointless reviews which are easily manipulated. If there are folks who like that fine (I can say freely my brother was mad "Steamer", but he hasn't used Steam for like 3-4 years -> life, marriage, etc), give them that functionality, but don't shove rubbish down the throats of others.

From sneak peaks I can see Steam being slowly transformed into negligibly less abominable version of Origin. Oh and put RGB functionality on it too, I'm sure there is the way to screw this platform even more... :ugh:

Back