New Install of XP - Need to retrieve data

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaunceyIII

So anyways, I've been battling with my pc all day. The background on my problem is as follows:

I really have no idea what the hell has happened or what I may have done.

It all started last night when I tried accessing my "Application Data" folder for Bioshock so that I could access the user.ini file. I must have hit something wrong, as I "lost" my documents and settings folder, not to mention my username "My Documents" folder.

Also I lost quite a few desktop icons, and when I went to add desktop shortcuts to those programs I lost, Windows wasn't allowing me to.

I decided to repair my copy of XP. I inserted the disc, ran a repair, but during repair ran into a few prompts I wasn't sure what to make of. The first was a notice that Windows could not find a particular folder and needed me to locate it. It had something to do with nvata.sys (referenced something along the lines of ide_sata). I didn't know of a disc with this information so I hit cancel and it skipped over it.

I than get another prompt telling me I needed to insert disk labeled "NVIDIA Network bus installation disk 1" Again I wasn't sure what to make of this so again I canceled and skipped.

After it finished repairing it went to boot and now it just cycles through the booting sequence, thus never boots into Windows. I've tried normal and safemodes, but it just restarts. I really don't know what the hell I did and I'm trying to correct it. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I really hope I don't have to do a clean install, as I had some documents I cannot afford to lose

I decided to do a new install of XP on another empty drive I have in my pc. Everything went well and am now able to log into XP. When I went to the original drive in which my first install of XP was on ( C: ) I cannot access any of "My Documents", nor is there any option to. I need to get files from "My Documents" on my C: drive, but obviously they are no longer there...are they hidden? Is there anyway I can resurface them?

Sorry for the long post, but I want to be thorough as possible.

May be better to stick with the new drive install.

But your old drive (with your documents on it)
Should be in Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents
When you go to that folder (I presume drive is now Slave installed) what do you see?
Also try a Search All Files & Folders - for Documents on the Slave as well

there are means to use OTHER system boot CDs to get at the data ...
how much effort are you willing to put into this to avoid a reinstall?

Ophcrack-LiveCD
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133599&package_id=167699
Will show you your Admin Password

I've just read through all the pages from jobeard (links to links)
Although I've known this already (and done it) it has still been able to help me gain more information, even to the System Volume Information folder.

Download Ophcrack-LiveCD and run on the original drive
then follow jobeard's link yourself and repair your original drive registry

Well I was able to recover some of my files, but when I went to restart, I cannot log-in to my computer as I get the message "Keyboard error or no keyboard present". I have a Saitek II board and when plugged in its LEDs cease to light up once I startup the pc. It instructs me to either press F1 or DEL to enter setup but obviously I cannot as my keyboard isn't detected.

It's being plugged in via USB port. I removed all other of my USB devices except that one and still it is no longer detected.

Need help again...

see if you can restore from a restore point using
Safe Mode and then C:\Windows\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

First off I just want to thank everyone for their help, especially you Jobeard.

Unfortunately I cannot log into Windows, whether in normal or safe mode. Again I cannot get past the bootup screen because my pc is not reading my keyboard. So basically I'm disabled at the moment. I really don't know what else can go wrong today...I mean it was working before my last restart :(

Other than getting a ps2 keyboard
You can reset you bios (on the motherboard) which might allow USB as well, to the keyboard

Actually the bios (or cmos) may have been reset, and that has disabled USB support in DOS (and bootup) Therefore no use.

But if you still want to try a manual reset, on PC's the internal motherboard usually has a jumper near the CMOS battery that requires shorting.
But you will need your manual (downloaded from your motherboard's or computer's support page)
And you will need to have a little bit of hardware knowledge on internal parts (ie antistatic and power precautions) Also in the service manual

Otherwise it's PS2 time!

Or use an adaptor:
230219691417_1.jpg

This should have come with your keyboard, otherwise buy from ebay, or ask for one at a computer shop (they usually have hundreds)

Thanks Kimsland.

I started looking at replacement adapters and will try to see if I can grab one from Radioshack/Staples/Microcenter tomorrow.

Ok, yet another question and problem.

My mouse is actually hooked up via PS/2 port. I decided what the hell and used it on my USB keyboard. I put the PS/2 adapter into the keyboard port. Right away the LEDs of the keyboard lit up (which was a good sign as it means it is working) however a couple of seconds the LED lights shut off.

Windows begins to boot up and I get the same keyboard error message. I decided to mess around with the cable in the port a bit more, and when I forced it further into the port it continued to stay lit. I did this while it booted into windows again, but unfortunately it still did not recognize a board being in the computer.

Now before you say the keyboard is probably unfunctional, I hooked it up to my laptop via usb and it worked just fine.

So do I need a keyboard specific PS/2 adapter or is there another issue here?

ChaunceyIII, because you seem frustrated I don't think I should really answer that question (no offense, but I think you know the answer)

Oh what the hell, I'll answer.

Yes your USB keyboard works
The computer's CMOS has got USB keyboard disabled
(although Windows will see it, it is Not being detected at system startup)

Therefore, you require either a ps2 keyboard, or an adaptor to your working USB keyboard

Then you will be able to press any key, at system startup
(actually, when you get this, go into CMOS and put USB keyboard on/enabled)

As for the mouse in the keyboard, no comment (as there's nothing to say!)

Golly creeping crud

It might be time to consider the motherboard / bios in this thread.

This links gets you to barebones mobo; add back till it breaks.

My initial guess was connectoritis - usb or usb-ps2. On the other hand, the Bios directly controls the keyboard. I question if a confused bios was giving the appearance of a network install?

Obviously a flaky PSU should not be overlooked; cmos battery is another consideration.

Just an alteration to your link, I find THIS better, it avoids all the other posts there.

Anyway, I'm waiting on adaptor before any other options are dealt with (he should get it for free, I've got about 50 here!)

My mouse is actually hooked up via PS/2 port. I decided what the hell and used it on my USB keyboard. I put the PS/2 adapter into the keyboard port. Right away the LEDs of the keyboard lit up (which was a good sign as it means it is working) however a couple of seconds the LED lights shut off.

Windows begins to boot up and I get the same keyboard error message. I decided to mess around with the cable in the port a bit more, and when I forced it further into the port it continued to stay lit. I did this while it booted into windows again, but unfortunately it still did not recognize a board being in the computer.

Now before you say the keyboard is probably unfunctional, I hooked it up to my laptop via usb and it worked just fine.

So do I need a keyboard specific PS/2 adapter or is there another issue here?

Oh I miss understood you.

You have already got a USB to ps2 adaptor, which was on your mouse (strangely as it should have been the other way around)

Anyway you then plug the adaptor on your keyboard (good) and then plug it in the ps2 on the computer (yes good) but now you can get into Windows (good) but the keyboard fails (well the port drivers haven't loaded)

What I suggest, is don't go to Windows, go to CMOS and enable keyboard USB support (you should notice something like hit DEL or F2 or something to get into CMOS on system startup. Do that.

Hahah, sorry, let me clarify again (you almost got it)

I plug my my keyboard's USB cable into the PS/2 adapter. I than proceed to insert the adapter into the keyboard ps/2 port on my computer.

When I turn my comptuer on one of the first things I should see is my keyboards backlight LED lights spring to life (this means it is active). I see the LED backlights light up for a second, than shut off. By the time my boot screen comes around, it gives me the same keyboard error.

I than mess around with the adapter, forcing it further into the port. When I hold the adapter in the port the keyboard stays lit the entire time, even when I get to boot screen, however it still tells me it does not detect a keyboard.

So what I'm asking is that I don't need a special PS/2 adapter for the keyboard right? The one for my mouse should work just fine?

Review your findings with us - again.

Case: All USB devices unplugged. Mouse unplugged. Keyboard USB connection (root hub is on the mobo).

Case: All USB devices unplugged. Mouse unplugged. Keyboard PS2 connection.

Method of test: use keyboard to enter Bios setup.

As far as I know, the USB-PS2 adapter is universal.

It is interesting to note how easy it is to take simple things for granted. I was trying to relate to the flashing of the LED's being extended by applying mechanical pressure.

Any sign of a mechanical problem with this assembly or the mobo?

Ok yes review is good for clarification, but I'm continuing anyway.

No you don't need another adaptor
Yes the keyboard works

But...

It seems the motherboard's PS2 connection is faulty (with a very small possibility to the adaptor and keyboard ie the length of thro of the connector)

Here's an idea. Without destroying your motherboard, open the case (I'm sure already open) and push the ps2 keyboard (adaptor only) and the back ps2 connector together (ie at the same time - without breaking the motherboard's connector off)
Then insert the USB keyboard (into the now mounted ps2 connector) I hope it has some grip inserting (this is getting strange!)
Then turn on the computer, and go to CMOS
Otherwise, grab a REAL ps2 keyboard (to eliminate all this)

try that (and I don't like writing PS2 (PS/2) all the time - it just doesn't sound right.!)

Edit:
actually my keyboard is stuffed as well, I have to hit really hard, or the keys don't register - but that's not important, but I had to edit my post, because I missed some letters, I'm sure others think I can't spell at times.
I tell you what - you have this ps/2 keyboard and I'll take your USB !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back