New MB old HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyeman

I just replaced the MB in an emachine... (its not mine), but machine wouldn't boot from HD. I tried to reinstall windows xp but install errored out during the formatting process. I then loaded windows on a new HD that I had inhouse no problem. I reset the jumpers to use new drive as master and old drive as slave. Thought I could reformat and reload windows on the old drive from here. When I boot up to Windows I don't see the old drive. If I go into the setup menu both drives are recognized. I do not see 2nd HD in device manager when windows is booted, so there doesn't appear to be a conflict there. Any thoughts on how I can get this old drive reformatted and install windows so I can keep the new drive and give the machine back with the drive it came with?

Thanks
DS

try seagate disk wizard (free)
or acronis or paragon software
make sure all cables are tight
make sure drive is spinning
maybe it's time for new drive too

I'll give one of those a try. Disc sounds like its spinning so I think there is still hope for it. Thanks.

Common problems. I don't expect you will get results with the Seagate disc wizard or the other suggestions. This is a Windows error... Windows used on most manufacturer drives is designed to detect any changes to the motherboard, hard drive, or most other hardware changes except memory and modem, and will refuse to work if it finds those changes. If the software on the hard drive does not detect the eMachines ePROM tattoo at startup, it will fail to boot.
An eMachines hard drive will not work on another motherboard, until you install an OEM version of Windows... as a repair... This is done by agreement between Microsoft and eMachines to make sure the recovery discs cannot be used elsewhere... The other suggestions usually do not work on hard drives with an install from eMachines or an eMachines recovery disc set, until you use a new version of Windows... available at some locations for $64 to $89... or by using a Windows upgrade set from such places as Wal-Mart, best buy, and online sites.

Got a new version of windows. Only got as far as the formatting process of the install and it hung, now Windows doesn't recognize the hd even though I can boot to the setup screen and see it in the BIOS, Windows does not see it even as a slave with a New HD as master.

How old is hard drive? Is it a Maxtor, Samsung, Fujitsu, Deathstar, Hitachi, Western Digital, or Seagate.
Sometimes hard drives go bad. Sometimes they just need to be reformatted.

Hard drive is a 40g WD Cavier 7200. So far haven't been able to reformat even from DOS. Getting the "invalid path" message no matter what letter I try to assign to the drive.

dyeman said:
Hard drive is a 40g WD Cavier 7200. So far haven't been able to reformat even from DOS. Getting the "invalid path" message no matter what letter I try to assign to the drive.

It could be as simple as a failed drive... Old Western Digitals were known for failure

Yea I know, I am going to try the DOS tools from the WD site. If that doesn't work I'll have to sell the guy the spare drive I have. He didn't really want to put any more money than he had to into this thing...and who could blame him.

can always try in another machine
I like to live on the edge
I'll assume you have checked jumper settings and ide cables
spinning is a good thing is it loud?

In one of your attempts, try a new EIDE 80 conductor cable. We have seen new cables bring drives back to life.

Drive spins not overly loud. Will try old drive in another machine when I get done putting it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back