New MB supporting dual GPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

whoa i just read today in Maximum PC that a Nforce4 mB is soon to hit the market...this MB will be able to run two GPU's(identical GPU) at the same time thru PCI express...runing both the x16 and x8 at x16...the only problem i think is the north and south bridge thats on the MB and the lack of pci slots and ide hookups for expansion..check it out for yourself...the SATA data tranfer is going to be at around 300mb/s..i have the nForce3 and i transfer around 166mb/s i think..(<-not to sure)...i wouldnt buy this card because why run two GPU's?? most games you dont even need a 256mb GPU..i run 256graphics off my 128...decide for yourself..o yeah so far its socket 754 and 939
:hotouch:

Shaggy, the old PCI bus is being replaced with the PCI-X buss. all new hardware will be designed for the new bus. Since most equipment is now built onto the motherboard it'll be hard to fill up the 2-4 PCI-X there are. IDE is being replaced with SATA, you'lll even find SATA DVD and CD burners out. These nForce 3 and 4 boards are coming with 6-8 SATA drive connectors. As for 2 vid cards, well, that would give you support for 4 monitors natively. You'll probably need that just to keep two 64-bit processors busy.

IDE and PCI are going the way of Serial, Parallel and PS2 connectors.

well, I use PCI-X as PCI-EXpress cause I'm lazy. screw the other guys, they'll die off soon and the transition will happen naturally.

Shaggy said:
whoa i just read today in Maximum PC that a Nforce4 mB is soon to hit the market...this MB will be able to run two GPU's(identical GPU) at the same time thru PCI express...runing both the x16 and x8 at x16...the only problem i think is the north and south bridge thats on the MB and the lack of pci slots and ide hookups for expansion..check it out for yourself...the SATA data tranfer is going to be at around 300mb/s..i have the nForce3 and i transfer around 166mb/s i think..(<-not to sure)...i wouldnt buy this card because why run two GPU's?? most games you dont even need a 256mb GPU..i run 256graphics off my 128...decide for yourself..o yeah so far its socket 754 and 939
:hotouch:

PCI is leaving us, tbh, that’s a good thing. The extra bandwidth you'll get because of pci-express is huge, at first this will only be used for graphic cards, but in time different things will use the bandwidth.
To answer the "why 2 GPU's", it would be much better if you can place a 2nd card to gain almost 60% in performance then to just throw away a current card and buy a whole new one.
Only thing that has to be solved for this to work is the fact that the cards need to have the same bios rev.
You say that most games you don't need all the memory, that is true but as I understand, because of the extra gain in bandwidth ect game programmers can use the gpu for much more then they do at the moment.

Face it, pci-e is the future as it seems, and I can only welcome SLI.
NVIDIA and ATI both realize that atm the future doesn't lie in getting the speed of there cards up, but that the future is multiple GPU’s. This was once done with the voodoo cards if I’m not mistaken.

At first the multiple GPU’s won't be used by home users, that’s for sure, but the speed ect can come in handy when using HDTV.
The benchmarks I've seen until now show an extraordinary increase in performance at high resolution, because the cards on the market atm are mostly CPU limited. Only at 1600*1200(+AF&FF) you get a 57% increase (in the benchmark I've seen) with the 6600 from NVIDIA.

What you say about the ATA being replaced by SATA, that’s another thing I can only welcome. I have to say thou, in my computer I have 4 hard drives a DVD writer and another cd-writer, ALL ATA.
To solve that you can always buy a raid controller, I paid mine 30€ a year ago. I didn't need to have a lot of speed or features, just being able to connect more then 4 devises. That’s the way I'll solve my problem.

About the socket, I can't say much about that. I haven't been following everything and only in the last week I’ve done some reading.
So to round things up, I got a question. What socket is the future?, I was thinking on buying the A8N-SLI Deluxe in a couple of months. Does this sound like a good idea?

SLI? I dunno, I don't see much point to be honest. I've not read so much on it, but it can't be all that different to 3Dfx's approach - the texture memory is replicated on both cards in which case. So the extra memory available isn't of that much help really, it's just the halving of the work that is. But still, how many people out there really want to buy 2 identical graphics cards for about 3/4 as much performance again. Who would really *need* that much performance? It's particularly pointless when a new card will be out in 6 months or so anyway which boasts better performance still.
So to SLI graphics cards I say this - NUTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back