TechSpot

new mobo keeps rebooting itself

By stinger
Mar 7, 2006
  1. Hi guys well i have a big problem.
    I bought a new mobo(asus a8v) and a new cpu(amd athlon 64 3200+)

iI installed everything in my case that i previously had my old mobo and cpu in. when i boot up it tells me primary master H D D not found press F1 to continue. i press it and xp boots up.

my video card is a ati radeon 9500/9700 pro. Everytime i boot up and try to do anything the computer will reboot. i have been using this card for about 7 months now so i know the card should be ok. i downloaded the drivers that was using before on my old pc and when i go to instal them the computer reboots half way through the install. if i go into safe mode the computer is stable and does not reboot. i replaced my vid card with an old nvidia riva tnt2 and the computer works perfectly. so what do you think is going on here ?

I have a 450 watt no name psu . thx guys .

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

if you are reusing an old hard disk, you must format and reload windows on it.

the drivers on your hard disk are specific to the hardware it was running.

3. stinger

stinger TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes i that has already been done. these are the steps i took.

I put in win xp cd
    boot from cd
    delete the partition
    ntsf format(quick)
    reinstall windows.

Thx. Stinger

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.