New mobo, now won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced an older mobo with a Chaintech 7NJL6 Socket A Motherboard and installed an AMD Athlon XP3000+ Socket A CPU Barton Core 333FSB along with 512MB pc3200 DDR 400 MHz memory. I have Windows XP installed on an existing hard drive. After unsuccesful attempts to boot from the hard drive, I reset CMOS and upon bootup I get the following:

Memory Frequency 200MHz
IDE Channel 0 Master : ST300021A 3.19
IDE Channel 0 Slave : None
IDE Channel 1 Master : None
IDE Channel 1 Slave : ATAPI CD-RW
nothing on IDE channel 2 or 3
CPU has changed, Please reinstalling CPU information in CMOS setup

F1 to continue

Then it shows Pool Data ...

Then I can choose to start Windows in Safe Mode, Last Known Good, or Normal.

The machine then reboots regardless of what I choose and goes back to screen 1 with a Post Code 7F.

Can anyone help point the direction on this one?

Thanks

Jay

Thanks for the reply..

I can't boot to a cd or from my hard drive. The pc reboots itself before I can do either

This is something that is quite likely to happen. The problem being that the drivers required for the new board are not installed. It may be necessary to wipe the drive and start again.

hit delete key or F2 to get into bios reset bios to optimum default settings.
Not sure ,but the HAL is seeing a change or the bios had a diff cpu in it and see's a change going to bios even without resetting just exit and save may help.
XP should not complain about 1 hardware change ,thought the MB is the biggest change to it.
XP oem is not supposed to be transferable to new MB unless it is identical.
if you can get into bios and above does not work
reset the boot order ,put your install cd in,this may fix the errors in MB drivers.
if above does work ,make sure you reload the new drivers for the board

thanks again -

but there may be something else going on here. BIOS shows my 400MHz memory as either 100MHz or 200MHz (alternately). And since I have to clear CMOS because I get a black screen when making even minor changes in BIOS (like setting the clock), the only way back in is to clear CMOS.

I will try using a boot disk to see if I can even format the hard drive in this machine and let you know what happens.

progress:

I reinstalled XP successfully and installed the new mobo drivers. The only issue still is that I get this error upon reboot:

CPU was changed, Please re-setting CPU information in CMOS setup

I am really blind or I'm missing something, but I see no "CPU information in CMOS setup". Does anyone have this board and know what it's looking for?

Thanks to all for the helpful advice!

Are you sure it "took" when you reset your CMOS?
Did you disconnect the power cables on the MB, then switch the jumper for about 15 seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back