New monitor -or- mobo, cpu, & ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cucumber

New Monitor, Or Mobo/CPU/RAM ???

Hey lads, currently i am doing exams at school...but when they are finished (2weeks) i will be working and i will have some money! :D Question is im torn between gettin a 18.1"TFT monitor, or XPCPU/New Mobo/512mb PC2700! I currently have a 17" CRT monitor, and my system specs are below.
What would u recommend?? As i would like to get a new monitor but they are VERY expensive! Where as i could get the new CPU/Mobo/RAM for under £300! (I would like to get a Thoroughbred)
I was gonna upgrade when ClawHammers come out, but that looks like is gonna be etliest a year:mad: .......+ one of the main reasons im doing this is to upgrade the slowest PC in the house...we play LAN CS quite a lot, and it is gettin a bit behind times...450K6/3 256mbPC100 Vivid!xs (Kyro 2)...so im gonna give my Stuff to my dad, and he can put some of his bits in that slow PC..So then we can all have decent PC's to play on.

Any recommendations, i would be grateful :grinthumb

Thanx, Cucumber

P.S. i tried O/Cing my dads PC, 900mhz Athlon....and the multiplier is locked so i had to do it Via FSB...but i only got it to 963mhz stable:( Any reasons for this??

hmmm....if you are only playing CS and not other games get the monitor then. I still your PC is powerful enough for CS. Otherwise get the a new CPU/Mobo/Ram

I say go for the monitor. Your system is fast enough for gaming, especially with that GF4. Working in general will be much better with larger & better monitor.

Well, I'm not very fond of LCD monitors, so I'd say go for the upgrade components, you can always pick up a good 19" CRT in a few more weeks.

just my $0.02

Monitors are expensive, so if it was me I would be using that Monitor till the day it blows up. Upgrade.

OK thanx people, but does anyone know why the CPU above wont overclock :confused:

+ any more advice would come in handy :)

Laterz

Cucumber

you gave the reason in your post, it is locked. You could unlock it if you are unhappy with the results of using the FSB. There is a guide on the Techspot main site that might help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back