TechSpot

New monitor want to test for dead pixels

By ChrisLam
Nov 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just bought a new Acer P201W LCD monitor from Staples. It comes with a 3 year LIMITED warranty, so it does not cover dead pixels. Also, I did not buy the optional warranty that does cover dead pixels from Staples. I have 14 days to return it if I don't like it. Within those few days, I want to test if I have any dead pixels so I can return my monitor. What programs are free and has lots of settings I can use to test my monitor for dead pixels? Like a full screen program that flashes random solid colours. By the way, I use integrated graphics (and VGA) and my system is not very fast so I hope the program is not too resources hungry.

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. Computer~freak~

Computer~freak~ TS Rookie Posts: 206

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

generally it is pretty obvious if you have dead pixels. You will see a tiny pixel that doesn't match the surrounding areas. Most of the time they stand out as white or black.
  4. ChrisLam

ChrisLam TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 104

I think I have one dead pixel. It shows up as black:(. If you have one, does it start spreading around that area? The dead one is in the top right corner...

I found a pretty good tester. It is free and no installation, can be found HERE

Thanks everyone who replied!

Chris
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.