New motherboard etc new hdd etc pc won't boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeRatLast

Well this is an ongoing problem I've had!

Long story short I have ended up replacing hdd, replacing power supply, replacing motherboard, cpu and fan, ram, ide cables Basically everything except the case and dvd and floppy!

Well now when I boot from cd no problems, deletes partition, formats (quick chosen), installs xp BUT when it gets to starting windows and does restart it won't!

It goes through the different screens at thebeginning, lists pci devise stuff, comes up verifying dmi pool data.............update success

THEN HANGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing I can think is the power supply is a small one (350 watt) but nit exactly running anything!!!!!!!

Just sits there. If you leave it eventually the screen goes blank and you can't get it back!

HELP PLEASE??????????????

Ah but the motherboard, ram, processor and fan bought as a fully tested bundle!!!!!!!

This isn't the ram i was using etc.

Basically, apart from the dvd and floppy it is a completely new pc now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still think you should test your Ram.

But here's a few other ideas:
  • Set CMOS to defaults (new M/b probably already done)
  • Turn off all caching in CMOS
  • Remove any internal addon cards, not required to start Windows
  • Unplug all external devices (except: power; keyboard; video) ie even unplug the mouse
  • Unplug any not required devices (2nd harddrive/DVD drive; floppy; case fan; front USB; front Sound)
  • Confirm hard drive set to Cable Select (if it is try Master) not relevant for Sata
  • Re-connect all internal ATA or Sata cables
  • Remove any extra Ram cards - and/or reseat

Ok mate ran memtest and all showing ok on 3 passes.

Set CMOS to defaults (new M/b probably already done have done and cleared cmos
[*] Turn off all cacheing in CMOS will try next
[*] Remove any internal addon cards, not required to start Windows have done
[*] Unplug all external devices (except: power; keyboard; video) ie even unplug the mouse have done bar the mouse will try
[*] Unplug any not required devices (2nd harddrive/DVD dive; floppy; case fan; front USB; front Sound) have done
[*] Confirm hard drive set to Cable Select (if it is try Master) not relevant for Sata using sata on own at mo
[*] Re-connect all internal ATA or Sata cables have done and disconnected those now not being used like floppy
[*] Remove any extra Ram cards - and/or reseat only one stick, the tested one, have removed and reseated

Stupid eh! Will try the last couple of bits and if not taking back to shop i guess!

Thanks for help again

After this it'll be bench test

So if you're mad now, wait until you see all your bits over the desk !!

Or return, your choice

Anyway, please try, I'll wait half an hour I suppose :rolleyes:

DONE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it must have been the blinking floppy drive#?!?!?!?!?!?!

All working although the last problem with last motherboard was after a few hours so will see if that is sorted now i guess.

Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back