New motherboard won't boot

I just installed a new Biostar motherboard and processor. It is a Biostar N68S3+, AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processor, and 4 gb RAM. Now it will not boot up. I was a little disappointed that it did not have two IDE connectors, as I have an older DVD drive. It goes to a black screen with startup choices; start windows normally, last good configuration, safe mode, etc. I have tried all, and it posts then goes back to this screen. In safe mode, it appears to load some of the drivers, but starts over. Everything booted fine with my old mobo, but it kept shutting down. Any help will be greatly appreciated. What am I missing?

This is because Windows doesn't recognize the new equipment, and typically upgrading a motherboard (well 95% of the time) usually prompts a fresh installation of the OS. Sometimes you can get away with it if the new and old boards are really similar but that isn't the case. There is a very easy way of getting around this issue but it will require 3rd party software, but reliable software by Acronis. Their product TrueImage, which is disk imaging software suite, offers a feature called "universal restore" which allows you to re-image Windows on any system with dissimilar hardware.

The alternative, of course, would be to just do an in-place upgrade of Windows, but for Vista and 7 you need to have bootable environment or it doesn't work. It could be a real headache to get the computer to boot as it is so I would strongly urge to use the imaging software, because it's really easy. TrueImage isn't too expensive and it will pay for itself time and time again.

[FONT=Arial]If you have a windows disc you could also do a Repair Install. Insert the disc, boot from the CD/DVD then when it comes up for install select the Repair Windows or similar option (it is called different things in different versions but they are all similar). Note: This requires an actual windows CD/DVD not a "system restore" disc included in most OEM computers. If you don't have a windows disc EXCellR8's recommendation is probably the next best option if you don't want to do a complete reinstall.[/FONT]

Thanks. guys. I'm using XP Pro. The mobos are different and the processor is different. I tried the repair install, but it failed, so I bit the bullet and did a clean install. I really needed to get a lot of junk off that drive anyway. It's running great, now!
Got one more question. What are your thoughts on Windows 7 over XP Pro?

Of course! Windows 7 (especially 64 bit) performs way than XP pro. If you use newer hardware, particularly those with a "Compatible with Windows 7" logo, go for the 64 bit version. Has a performance advantage. If the software you commonly use do not support 64 bit at all, just get 32 bit. But Windows 7 all the same, if you hardware and software support it.

I'd like to add something to what Marnomancer had to say, if your hardware does not support 64 bit it might be time for an upgrade in general. You'd get a copy of windows with a new computer from dell, hp, ect.

Back