New Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronologix

I was looking around and found this:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813128059

But i am wondering, would all my current components (that i am not upgrading) be compatible.

it says the FSB is 1333/1066 and DDR2 1066 as standard memory...would this mean i cannot use my existing DDR2 800 RAM or would I need to buy new RAM all together?

It has the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot so i can use my existing video card, power supply and other components.

I was planning on purchasing it with the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 to replace my Celeron D 3.2

Just wondering mainly about the memory thing...will 800 work in the 1066 slot.

The motherboard is 12 x 8.3 (which is smaller than my current) So i am pretty sure that I would not need to change cases either.

Thoughts Suggestions?

The official list of supported RAM for your motherboard (which can be found here), has modules of DDR2 800 on it so I would assume your current RAM should be fine.

If your current motherboard is a little bit larger than 12' x 8.3' I would assume it conforms to the ATX form factor (which is 12" x 9.6" for a full sized ATX motherboard I believe). The GA-P35-DS3L conforms to ATX standards as well, so everything should be fine :).

I won't lose any settings or files or anything right?...hopefully? I don't want to have to freshly install windows again -.-

One tidbit is that with the current RAM, you won't maximize the full potential of the motherboard or the new processor. If you're on a tight budget, by all means stay with the current RAM. Just save up for the new RAM. If not, purchase the new RAM that is recommended by the board specs. Remember, you don't have to get the fasted RAM the board will handle, but anything higher than the 800 mhz will definitely make a noticeable difference, as long as the timings are 4-4-4-12, or as close to that as possible. To maximize, make sure it's dual channel.

ok so....turns out i cannot order from newegg since they do not ship internationally...what would be the next best place to order?

Chronologix said:
I won't lose any settings or files or anything right?...hopefully? I don't want to have to freshly install windows again -.-

i think your wrong you will have to reinstall windows to get the mobo and cpu to work perfectly

Meh, XP is pretty flexible. You might get away without having to reinstall. That said, it's still better to have a fresh install when changing your motherboard.

You might try Tiger Direct. They ship to Canada.
As far as reinstalling Windows, it's better to reinstall since new hardware, i.e., motherboard and/or processor requires a fresh install. Sure, you could get away without reinstalling, but you're asking for trouble down the road. Trust me. I run a computer shop and I've tried it both ways, and reinstalling Windows is the best overall solution. You're just inviting trouble by not doing it.

sghiznaneck said:
You might try Tiger Direct. They ship to Canada.
As far as reinstalling Windows, it's better to reinstall since new hardware, i.e., motherboard and/or processor requires a fresh install. Sure, you could get away without reinstalling, but you're asking for trouble down the road. Trust me. I run a computer shop and I've tried it both ways, and reinstalling Windows is the best overall solution. You're just inviting trouble by not doing it.

Thank you for directing me there, I could not find the same mobo on that site, but i found a combo deal, that looks like it would better for what i want anyways:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...tails.asp?EdpNo=3601833&body=MAIN#detailspecs

comes with a quad core and 4Gb of RAM (although I already have 3, i will have 6Gb if i use my largest sticks from my current comp...but I am still using XP so it will not recognize that amount of RAM anyways, unless I get Windows XP Professional x64 right?)

thoughts and suggestions?

I could also go with the cheaper route of buying the mobo and processor separate and get a better deal, buying a duo core instead of a quad (going from $259 -> $119)

Proc: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3274224&CatId=2396
Mobo: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2959594

EDIT: I am hearing from a few people that the 680i LT isn't a good choice (people having some problems with it)

As far as performance:cost goes, I'd have to say you're safer with this CPU.

With that CPU you'll double the L2 cache, increase the core frequency by 460MHz and the FSB by 533MHz. It's worth the extra $80.

Furthermore, I could be wrong, but I don't think that OEM CPU (the one you chose) ships with a heatsink.

Hmm, now I am in a predicament, I am not really sure I want to spend that much, but then again, there is a store in my town that has those in stock (so i would not need to pay shipping etc.) But do not have that motherboard...gha!

Agreed. The E6750 is an excellent choice. The GA-P35-DS3L is an excellent motherboard as well, so no problems there either. IMO, just order the mobo and buy the CPU from wherever it works out cheaper for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back