TechSpot

new pc did work now doesn't, please help

By rjob
Mar 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have just finished building a new pc, turned it on for the first time yesterday and it was working fine. came today to turn it on and nothing, i've taken out all the connectors and rechecked them but nothing, all that happens is the led on the motherboard turns on and the psu makes some sort of noise (not the fan) but it doesn't power up at all which i find surpising as it was fine for the few hours i had it on yesterday. oh and this is the first pc i have built from scratch

the specs.

asus k8n motherboard
    amd64 3400+
    1gb ddr
    2 sata 160gb hdd
    peak radeon 9550 graphics card
    sony dvd+/-rw
    400w psu

think thats it, please help

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Welcome to Techspot!

If you are saying there is no fan starting PSU,CPU or case ,no power.
    You gotta start by returning that PSU and try another.

3. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 177

If lights are on and fans are spinning when it powers up, but there's no video. Could be a loose screw shorting the mobo.

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Buzzing PSU usually means a short circuit somewhere. Sometimes the coils buzz a bit too, that's normal, but it shouldn't be clearly audible.

Sounds odd though that it just stopped working like that.

5. R6MAD

R6MAD TS Rookie

Try to turn off the PSU at the switch on the back off the computer for about a minute then try to switch on if that doesnt work get a new PSU :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.