New PC + Updates Resulting in BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

piklemeup

This might be in the wrong section, but I don't know where else it would belong because it has to do with hardware and drivers.

I just built myself a new computer yesterday here are the specs:
Asus P5N-D motherhoard
Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Quad Processor
2 GB of Corsair RAM
Gefore 8600 GT Video Card
400 W Power supply

We also got an optical drive, but I'm going to assume that isn't the cause of the problem, I might be wrong, but I'm just assuming.

I got started by installing xp, and the new drivers, everything was going well (I had multiple reboots for drivers and such). When I moved on to microsoft updates, I rebooted and it gave me a BSOD, I started up in safe mode, and updated my BIOS, which resulted in it being fixed for a little while. Then I booted up in normal mode, did some updates, and it blue screens again. I'm finally at the stage where I just installed office and such, updated that, and it blue screens again. I have absolutely no idea why it would be doing this.

So, now I'm in safe mode, and it boots up fine, which leads me to believe it's a driver/software error. Does anybody have a method of determining what is going wrong, what driver, that kind of thing? I heard something about going into msconfig and turning on /BOOTLOG, but I didn't try it out. I ran chkdsk, and it didn't show any errors.

What code does the blue screen give? It will be a 0x followed by a series of zeros ending in either a number or a combination of a number and letter.

Oh, I always assumed that it was a memory location or something, here's the code.
It might be a bit off because I had to record it using my camera, and it was a little blurred.
0x000000D1 (0x000001A8, 0x00000006, 0x00000001, 0xBA72618B)

If that doesn't seem right, I'll try it again.

0xD1 errors are caused by device drivers trying to access an IRQL address that they have no business doing so. This results in system crashes and is a very common bug error.

The issue now is to find out what error is causing the crashes. Find your Event Viewer and see if it points to anything. Post it if you want.

If that doesn't work attach your minidumps.

I'm in safe mode on the computer right now, and I'm trying to interperate the Event Viewer, I'll write what it has to say from the latest boot:

Beginning boot, all of this has the same time:
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Multiprocessor Free.
The Event log service was started.
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x000001a8, 0x00000006, 0x00000001, 0xba72618b). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini030308-01.dmp.

It then goes to this one, which was recorded 4 seconds before the other ones. I think it might have been from my boot where it blue screened, but I'm not sure
The system detected that network adapter NVIDIA...Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
The next one has a time about 2 mintes later with an error symbol next to it and it says
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AsIO
Avg7Core
Avg7RsW
Avg7RsXP
Fips
intelppm
I think the drivers might have failed due to the system being in safe mode, looking at previous boots, common ones that fail are Fips and intelppm.
At the same time it says:
The Computer Browser service entered the stopped state.
The Terminal Services service was successfully sent a start control.
and
The Terminal Services service entered the running state.

My final error is about 15 minutes later, most likely because I left the computer for a bit before I logged on:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

My 3 latest minidumps are attached in the zip document. One is from today and the other 2 are from yesterday.

All three minidumps were 0xD1 errors which are common and they are caused by device drivers or kernels attempting to access an IRQL address that they shouldn't. This results in system crashes.

The driver cited is nvgts.sys which is a Nvidia SATA Performance driver and from everything I read there are a lot of people having issues with this. It is buggy.

Check out the following link and read through it. it should help.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149768

I read though that thread, but at the end they say they format and not install the driver, I'd rather not have to format again, is there any way to remove this without formatting?
*edit*
I'm in the registry editor right now and I found nvgts under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services, I read that deleting it from this point will remove it, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, one has to be careful with the registry and editing. I am wondering if they have updated drivers. I'd check out Nvidia's website.

I found some update on the nVidia site, I installed it, it removed the old drivers, it booted up fine, continued installing, but about half way through it blue screens. Now when I turn on the system it can't find the nvada.sys or something, and now I either have to repair/reinstall windows.

I hate reinstalling windows. Well, my problem is more or less solved, I'll wait to install the nVidia drivers until very last and I'll make sure that one doesn't get installed.

Thanks anyways.

I'd certainly try the repair first and I have heard not to install the Nvidia SATA drivers. If you find you have to reinstall let Windows install its drivers (as long as you have SP2) do it and see what happens.

Sorry for your trouble; let us know how your resolved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back