• Xperia Z3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EVEN A WINDOWS PHONE?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SirDigby

TechSpot Elite
Morning guys (for us in the UK),
Following CES and MWC this year I've encountered a minor dilemma in deciding on a phone to get this summer.
With a number of the top companies recently announcing/ releasing new flagships, the market is ripe for a picking - I'm just struggling to find a phone that fulfils all I desire. (I would've said requirements, but let's be honest no average consumer REALLY requires the best screen or fastest storage).

So those in the running are the current/ upcoming flagships from the leading Android companies: Samsung Galaxy S6, HTC One M9, Sony Xperia Z3, LG G3, Moto X (2014). Price isn't particularly an issue as I'm 18, employed and have little to no responsibilities.
Having recently read the HTC One M9 TechSpot review, I was hoping it would tick near-all of my boxes, and while it was close it was (as the saying goes) - no cigar.
The main issues are:
Battery life - I need a phone that will go from moderate use of web browsing, LTE and consistent playing of music from 6:30 in the morning (when I leave for work) to roughly 19:30 when I'll return from the gym. While I can charge it at work I shouldn't HAVE to.
Storage Size - I require a storage capacity of at least 64GB (40GB for music and spare for misc.), I am happy with a MicroSD slot, having reformatted two 64GB MicroSDs previously to work in phones which claimed 'up to 32GB'. So unless I want to just throw money at them, a MicroSD slot is ideal.
Display - Not particularly bothered, minimum 1080p.
Camera - Ideally I'd love a good rear shooter for when I'm out and about and don't have my main camera on me. I'm a sucker for zoom as well - just saying! Front facing cameras really don't phase me, I'm not that type of person.
Design - I'm loving the premium metal designs of flagships and am relatively content with matte, ideally I'd like a thin phone for pocket convenience. I am coming from a Galaxy S3 mini with a case that brings it to ~1cm thick. I've never liked the big phone designs that flagships have moved towards but it doesn't deter me really.
The usuals - minimal bloatware, as powerful as possible processor, decent RAM.

Can any of you help me come to a decision?
Judging on the above the HTC One M9 is what I've based my estimated pricing around. Staying with O2 on contract for 2GB data and insurance I am looking at £45 a month for 2 years which includes my employee discount of 30% off the airtime contact. My company are most likely going to acquire EE so I will see nearer the time if I get any discounts there, or the rumours of us launching our own mobile network, maybe I can get very good deals on that - but as I said, price isn't really a factor.

Last edited:
Re "Battery life" careless / default settings for Location Services is the usual culprit. Basically disable all such and then *maybe* enable it only in your GPS tools.

Other killer is the misuse of PUSH notifications; These require the cell connection to frequently poll for data - - "any info for me?" Running in this manner is like saying "give me more pop-ups -- more -- more --please more".

Instead of the machine driving the master, BE the master and disable PUSH and then when you are good and ready, look for what you need.

Re "Battery life" careless / default settings for Location Services is the usual culprit. Basically disable all such and then *maybe* enable it only in your GPS tools.

Other killer is the misuse of PUSH notifications; These require the cell connection to frequently poll for data - - "any info for me?" Running in this manner is like saying "give me more pop-ups -- more -- more --please more".

Instead of the machine driving the master, BE the master and disable PUSH and then when you are good and ready, look for what you need.

Useful tips, thanks for the advice, I usually do this, and end the processes of any apps on my phone I don't need running.
I actually upgraded yesterday - got the LG G4!

Any phone which one thinks is great for vpn connectivity will be my choice. travel a lot and not a tech guy to constantly connect, so I'm looking for one with auto connect function.

Importotant thing is when you set up your necessary app which phone continue to stability . my suggestion is go and try the phones and g3 and z3+ is my favorite and forget about samsung lots of useless ram kiiler app

Many Android handset released in 2015, that get more attention of smartphone buyers. In this list, my top choice is Galaxy S6, that arrived a 5.1-inch beauty. It is made of two pieces of Gorilla Glass 4 on the back and front, and a sturdy metal frame in the middle. Some changes have been made in new Galaxy S6: you get a very slim and good looking phone, an extremely powerful Exynos 7420 system chip, an excellent 16-megapixel main camera, and probably the best AMOLED screen.

Still wouldn't let my flag down with Samsung Galaxy. Its one of the best in town. Vpn works fine with it, well, almost everything works fine with it so I'll really go for that vote.

Back