New Ram Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
I have just brought some new ram for my pc (2 x elixir pc2-5300 667 1gb ddr2)
last week I got a new video card radeon hd 2600 pro 512mb had no troube until i insalled my new ram windowsxp crashes after a few minutes and goes to the blue sceen with random stop error messages some are 0x50, 0x7e, 0x0a, 0x8e stop errors.
I Have a ECS rc410-m2 motherboard and a pentium d 2.8ghz cpu. I can run the video card with my old ram 2x 512mb or i can use my new ram without the video card and my pc seems to run fine but i can not combine the new video card and ram.
the one thing I thought is that my motherboards max ram is 2gb so with 2gb of ram and a 512bm video card is this too much for the motherboard??
can anyone help me with this problem?? do i need a new motherboard??
Cheers

You are not thinking clearly on the 2 GB of RAM and 512 MB video card.
However, you do have a p[roblem.
I suspect your RAM is too slow or defective. Run a free download of Memtest86 for four hours or seven passes, whichever takes longer.
I have not heard of Elixer brand memory, but you might want to check the specs on it. If it was a very good price, it may be Value Ram which just cannot keep up. What happens when you use your old memory?

Hi thanks for your reply i will run memtest86.
It works fine with my old memory which is A-data ddr2 533 512mb .
here is info on the memory i have purchased
Model

Brand
elixir

Model
M2Y1G64TU8HB0B-3C

Type
240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Tech Spec

Capacity
2GB (2 x 1GB)

Speed
DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Cas Latency

Timing
5-5-5-12

Voltage
1.8V

ECC
No

Buffered/Registered
Unbuffered

Hi, Ok I have ran the memtest, without the videocard installed it came up with no errors. but with the videocard it had 30 or so errors in random spots in each pass

Video card errors could easily be the cause.

Memtest86 usually will not test for speed errors, when the memory works otherwise. But that combination of the slow Cas Latency of 5, the Timings
5-5-5-12, and the Voltage of 1.8v would make me drop those modules like a hot rock. This memory is probably ok for a computer with onboard video, sound and ethernet that is used for Word, Excel, and eMail, but not for a hot video card, photo editing, or gaming.
If you get a chance, read Scott Mueller's excellent chapter on memory in Upgrading and Repairing PC's, (18th edition) where third tier memory is discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back