New Ram Installed, now monitor wont come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway computer, p4 1.70g, 3 Dimm slots, Geforce FX 5200 (about a week old), and 40 gb hd.
Ok so here is the deal, I had a pc133 168pin 256 Dimm in slot 1, I went and bought 2x 512 pc133 168pin SD sticks, installed both in slot 2&3. Thats 1280 of ram. So I turned on my comp and my screen is blank saying no signal following with 3 loud beeps coming from my mobo. So now I took out the new ram and left the old one in, not working now, then I tried alone 1 512 sd in slot 1, still not working. Iv tried unpluging all the cords in the back, still nothing. Oh and my keyboard light isnt coming on and the windows intro sound does not play when I bootup and the activity light is on in the back. I have no Idea what to do now. I hope nothing is fried *cough mobo*.

is the RAm compatible with Gateway?... cause as far as i know... Branded Computers (DELL, HP, COMPAQ, GateWAY) always use propieraty hardware...

make sure if the ram is compatible with your system... and in the worst cases... the new ram wrecked the MOBO... because of Compatibility

Jaquio, you say the weirdest things.
No ram will kill a mobo. It will work or it wont work!
Seems to me you are using sdram. Sdram is sdram, it will either work or not work, it WONT damage your mobo! You do have to get correct ram, even the cl often will cause a problem. If your mobo wants cl2 or, 2.5, or 3, or ecc ram. You need to check that out.
Best way is to get the correct info on the ram you have that is known good.
Run the numbers thru google and report back.

Also, it could be that you have to have the higher ram, the 512 in the first slot and not the 256 mb ram in the first slot. There are many possibilities here, but i think you may likely have to change ram.

If the ram wont kill my mobo..then why isnt my old ram working anymore? I have tried to reset the cmos settings by taking out the battery, but no luck. Is there a different method of resetting the bios?

Jaquio, no it wont happen like that. I am new here but i see a lot of threads where you post and you want to be careful with what you say, some people will trust this and do things they shouldnt. In this case they may think the ram is all bad, etc, etc. If you dont know for sure you should at least point out you are guessing. Better sometimes not to post.

Elvy, sorry but that means nothing. There are so many different variables to gettting a pc running. So many things can happen to influence what will prevent the pc from starting, you have to have patience first of all.

Let me have a look again at what you have posted and we can come up with a plan to get you up and running.
First thing though, right off the top, a bad setup can cause a power supply to not start up again until its reset. Heres how to do that, and you may have to do this trick quite a few times while trying to troubleshoot your pc.

RESET POWER SUPPLY

Having problems with computer, cant get it to boot? Tried re-seating your components and other troubleshooting methods have failed?
Reset the power supply by turning it off at the back and removing the supply lead, then press and hold the computers power on button for one minute. This is with the motherboard connected to the power supply.
This is a very handy piece of info, can save you hours of work!

As for your question about your bios re-set. First, you likely have to do more than what you said, just pull out the battery.
I would suggest you go to one stick of ram, the first stick that worked before and you had the pc running. Keep the other ram aside for now.

BIOS RESET

A bios re-set can be very important and can be the difference between the pc starting up or not starting up.
You should always check the motherboard manual as there is a standard method of re-

setting the bios but some mobo(motherboard) mfgrs differ a bit, for instance some Pc chips mobos are different.
Standard method: Unhook your pc so there is no power going to it. Then take out the coin battery. Near the coin battery you will find 3 pins with one jumper. Move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. In other words, move the jumper up one pin.
Leave it there for a few minutes, then put everything back the way it was.
You can always tell if the bios re-set has taken place properly, you should have to re-set the time and date. It not done automatically then the fsb settings have to be set up again.
Another way to re-set the bios, not fully, but to at least affect a few changes would be to use the setting that says "default" or "minimum" or "standard" or "basic" settings. You only have to click on that and save and exit. This is not the same as a full and proper bios re-set but sometimes it can help.There are many individual settings inside your bios that can make your mobo work or stop working, and some settings that do little to nothing.
You should always read your mobo manual first. If you dont have one then use google to find your mobo mfgrs website and then find the proper manual for your mobo, as well as drivers, bios updates, etc. You should download all you can for your mobo and burn it to a cdr.

Last, sometimes the bios re-set took ok but the power supply needs to be reset as well. This happens as a result of trying to boot a pc when there is some problem, something somewhere, like a wrong setting, that results in the power supply not only not starting up, but needing a reset. You can do this using a power supply tester but if you dont have it then follow this:

RESET POWER SUPPLY

Having problems with computer, cant get it to boot? Tried re-seating your components and other troubleshooting methods have failed? Reset the power supply by turning it off at the back and removing the supply lead,
then press and hold the computers power on button for one minute. This is with the motherboard connected to the power supply.
This is a very handy piece of info, can save you hours of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back