New ram makes motherboard beep

Legoflamb

Hi guys

I have an intel DP55WB whitsburg a pair of matched 2gb sticks installed at the moment in slots 1 and 3 and nothing in 0 or 2.

I put a new 4gb stick of IBM ram in and get 3 long beeps and it keeps repeating. Everything goes back to normal when I take out the new stick. It happens in both slots 0 and 2.

Am I doing something wrong? With the new stick do I need to change the placement of my original ram?

Thanks!

This motherboard has support for DDR3 1333 /1066 MHz DIMMs. If you insert DDR3 1600 it probably will not work. Intel motherboards are famous for sticking to the specifications and not exceeding them. I own 2 Intel Motherboards.

I don't know if this is allowed but here is the Intel Specifications of the Motherboard.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dp55wb.html

Make sure you unplug the computer from the wall or the power strip before adjusting RAM DIMMS. All RAM is different. Normally you add it in Pairs to maintain the dual channel functionality. If you don't the RAM will slow down. It is not wise to mix and match different kinds of RAM. This can be related to capacity, latency, SPEED, voltage. Then some RAM may not work with other RAM due to incompatibility with the existing RAM. Some RAM may not work in your motherboard due to incompatibility with the motherboard. Some shorter DIMMS also use a different voltage and you cant mix different voltages. RAM is not just buy it and stick it in.

Back