New RAM, now system crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I just got some DDR333.
I know this particular RAM works with this MOBO as my G/F has it.

If I try to run 3dmark (2000 or 2001) it playes the demo for about 3 seconds then crashes to the desktop. Same for Quake3. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

OK, just guessing here, but you had 1 x 256 MB and you got another 1 x 256 MB? If so, can you run ONLY with the new module and then see if the problem persists??

Phantasm66....alright buddie.

I have put the 1x256(2100) in DIMM 0 and the 1x512 in DIMM 1. Which made the entire 768MB run at 2100

This did nothing. I have put my old stick of 2100 back in DIMM 0 and the system is fine. I have put it down to a faulty stick. I am going to take it back to the store I bought it and ask for a replacment.
I'll bring that home and test it. If this fails then I am in for some testing.

It could be the 2nd DIMM, it could be the Motherboard. Although I know that this board can take DDR333. It is only dodgy with DDR400. There are compatibility list on the web site http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8sg667.htm

Im not sure about proccedure though....process of eliminanation. Its going to be tough.

In terms of incompatibilty, I had some issues with my power supply a while ago before the R300. I was getting random lock ups and restarts. I bought the R9700PRO and a 450W PSU (upgrading from a 300W)

Now I think the 333 RAM is drawing to much power!! A mate of mine has the same system (without the 333) with a 400W PSU, and he cant boot with the R9700PRO in the AGP slot. He can though with a Geforce2. This made me think that 450W is bare minimum with my system.

Will the DDR333 draw more power? and could this be what is causing the problems?

450W!!!! Don't be daft. I have 400W and I have like 5 HDDs and 3 CD-ROM devices, etc... Unless the specs you have posted in your sig are the summary version and you have like TONS of other stuff in there, then I don't think so Buddy....

haha you gotta love the crap post just to reach that mark. I remember Phantasm doing it to get to 3000, posted 3 in a row to get there.

That doesn't make much sense, a 400 Watt PSU should be enough for pretty much whatever you have, unless you have a rediculous number of drives or something. The DDR 333 will use more power but not that much more.

Looking at your system as a technician, I would say you should have more than enough power with a 450W PSU. You don't mention your drives but I assume one or two HDDs(7200rpm) and two CD drives(DVD and CDRW) I think your friend has other problems, I've seen too many people replace PSUs when it isn't the problem just because someone tells them they need a 450 or more.

About your RAM problem...
I'll ask you this? are you mixing RAM of different speeds? Different Brands?
Sounds to me like you found the problem in a faulty module, unless I read that wrong.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Sounds to me like you found the problem in a faulty module, unless I read that wrong.

Lord Phantazmm The Dark Concurrs....

500W plus is for people with like hot swappable RAID arrays and stuff....

Well I have 1 80Gig HDD runningat 7200RPM. A DVD-ROM and a CDRW.

"RAM of different speeds? Different Brands? "

No. I tested the new RAM by itself. 450W is fine? ok. Then it must be a faulty stick. Although the stick must be faulty at the high end. I can use windows and use the internet, although as soon as I put pressure on it, 3dmark, Quake3 timedemo's it BSOD's me.

Another weird thing too.....the BSOD done have any text!!

Then as far as you have described the problem, its your stick that's at fault...

I found a bad RAM stick at work today. One boot it thought it was 128 MB, the next 14 MB and a nasty blue screen on boot. Replace the stick... All is well.....

Hhehehe we could call it Phantazmm day....

Anyway... get that DIMM exchanged...

If its still under warrantee... post back if you have any questions about returning it....

I've seen RAM modules that ran fine in one system and problems in another. Testing them in a RAM tester shows them as bad though. Some modules will be bad and give a memory error on boot, if you reboot, it will go on through and the system may run fine until you load a game or memory intensive application. Some RAM problems will show up as the RAM being different size that what it is. Other problems only show up when the corrupt area of the module is accessed, like during a memory test or when that area is need by a program, Benchmark tests are very good for finding problems like this because they put stress on the components.

Well.

Good quality power supply.....the unsung hero. I bought a better quality power supply.

An Antec 330W PSU. The store tested it with the 333 RAM and it works a treat. I had a codegen 450W, and apparenty the quality of the power is more important the amount.

Thanks to all that replied.

Hmm, I find that a bit odd, because you just bought that 450 to replace a 300 which you were told was not enough, then you get a 330 and it is enough. There might be another problem somewhere.

I find it odd that even a "cheap" PSU would be that far off in its rated wattage and actual wattage. It is possible that you got a bad one, but in any case it should have a warranty and I'd return and ask for a refund due to faulty parts. That Antec 330 should be plenty for your system and if you have further trouble you will want to look deeper into the problem. Maybe line voltage or surges causing problems in the PSU. Impropper grounding of the electrical system in your house could also cause problems.

I'm mentioning these things because you seem to have had to replace two PSUs in a short period of time. If it happens again I want you to have a little info to use to maybe help you track the problem down. You can buy a ground tester at a hardware store, or you can get a surge protector that has one built in. As for the line voltage, surges and spikes, you'll have to take up with the power company. Sometimes it is as simple as replacing a transformer, but usually you will have to get a power conditioner to fix it.

Well the power in the house must be fine though.......as it works with other hardware conbinations.

I ran a 3dmark test with the 333RAM, and a geforce2 in the same PSU and system, and it was fine except for the 1334 3dmarks ;-)

I am thinking its a prblem with the AGP 8x and the DDR333.

Originally posted by bretty
Well the power in the house must be fine though.......as it works with other hardware conbinations.
They problems I was talking about would affect the components in the PSU, shortening its life. It wouldn't really have any direct effect unless you notice lights blinking off and on when your central AC or Heating cuts on and off. Also if you have frequent power outages or if breakers get tripped often in the house, these are all signs of a problem. There can be a problem without these signs and these signs don't always mean that the line voltage is the problem. Just wanted to clarify that for you. These things are just things to look for which may signal a problem.

Originally posted by bretty

I am thinking its a prblem with the AGP 8x and the DDR333.
What leads you to this? It could very well be the problem but I'd like to know your theory, or if you have a link or more info it could be handy to someone in the future.

Well no I dont really.

I have been doing some reading though this morning after I posted this at www.rage3d.com

There is heaps of info there...about the AGP 8x though...I have manually set it to 1/2/4 times, and the problem is still there. I think also it might have something to do with AGP apperture size too.

Since I dont have a option within BIOS to change this.....i will probably die wondering.
It is set to 64MB. Now with 256MB of system RAM I think this is ok, alhtough when there is 512MB it might be a problem.

I might underslock the FSB with the DDR333 in there so it runs at 266. This will eliminate the chance of the speed being the problem. Id say that if the lockups still occur, then it must be a brand conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back