New Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrtdy

hey everyone i am currently using a emachines t6528, I only have 365mb ram. and I am considering buying new ram. what are some stuff that i need to watch out for? can i just buy the most ram possible? or can it over load my system? anything will help! thanks!

watch out for over priced stuff
look at neweggs deals on kingston value ram
just make sure its the right ram
no don't think you have to worry about ram consuming to much power not on that machine
though would not hurt to invest in better power supply if you don't intend to do major upgrade

according to the Emachine website and the number of your computer that you gave T6528

Link

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor with AMD 64 Technology
(2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)
Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
Memory: 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available

if this is the right information then we can tell you what ram u need

but you say you got 365mbs of Ram but they say you have 512mb (if we add the 128mbs of shared video it only totals 493mbs

so i am not sure if this is your computer or not

The New Math........

Bios reserves some RAM as well, so 128MB + 385MB = 493MB which sounds about right.
The problem here is the DDR (1) 184 pin DIMM (s)
While the price of DDR2 has bottomed out, (I just bought a 2 X 1GB kit of DDR2 800 Mhz RAM for $44.99), the price of DDR has not. The same amount of RAM in DDR is $105.99. This is a link to Kingston "Value RAM"; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141465 It's much slower and it's more than twice as much money, which sucks big time.

Anyway, do we know how many RAM sockets are on this board yet? Or how much new memory are we hoping to install? IMHO the most cost effective (obviously) is to install another 512MB in the at least one empty socket (cross your fingers), which should be there, and try to be satisfied. 'Cause beyond that you're in for the whole $106.00 worth. The performance jump from a half gig to a whole gig should be fairly respectable. (the 1 extra 512)

yeah today i just opened up my machine and i have 2 extra slots available for extra ram. but just wondering, what is the difference between DDR and DDR2 ram? can a machine using DDR not work with DDR2 ram?

and also. is there a "max" amount of ram u can put into one slot? or it will over load?
and what are the power requirements for new ram? is it a huge amount?

thanks!

btw. yeah on my machine it says that it has 512 mb ram. but when i go to control pannel > hardware and look over there. it says that i only have 365 or so..

Oy......!

DDR RAM is a 184 pin package, DDR2 is a 240 pin package. One won't go into the other's socket without using a hammer. If you use a hammer, it will no longer work.

The actual load on a power supply from added RAM is very low, and (for the most part) needn't be considered.

The missing memory issue has been addressed (pun intended) see above. Here's another hint, the video card is using it.

If I don't post this guide, Tedster will; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html Please take a few minutes and read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back