New rig or upgrade video card and ram?

h_pavon

[FONT=Verdana]I am looking for a better gaming experience with BF4 and COD: Ghosts, not looking to top FPS but just to be able to play at max settings at a fair FPS (30). Here are my current specs:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]CPU: Core i7 920 at stock and not looking to OC[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]RAM: 6gb[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Video: GTX 560ti[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I was thinking of upgrading RAM to 12gb and video to GTX 760 and wait a couple of years to replace the whole system but I am unsure if the CPU will bottleneck the performance of the video card? or if the upgrade will be good enough for the upcoming games 2014-2015?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Thanks in advance for your advice![/FONT]

CPU is fine, RAM is also fine, GPU is also fine.

Do you have the latest GPU drivers? Download from NVIDIA website.

I don't see how you can't get 30fps on High detail at 1920x1080 resolution.

I agree with slh28, grab a decent CPU cooler and overclock it would be a good way to bump performance on the CPU, but your CPU should still be fine for most games. If you want to bump performance, the best would be a new video card. The 560ti is not a bad card, but its getting dated, I would get an R9 280X to bump your performance significantly. You should have plenty of ram still for gaming so the only thing I would upgrade is the video card.

The CPU is still more than good enough for gaming for the time being. Adding more RAM will bring about a negligible performance gain and won't impact gameplay. Your best bet is to upgrade the GPU. Get a later version of the equivalent of the GTX 560Ti which was the GTX 660Ti and now the GTX 760 or the AMD equivalent if your budget (or more importantly, your better half) agrees.

Many thanks for the replies. I will be getting a video card upgrade, most likely the GTX 760. I have not tried OC because I am in a tropical zone with no AC yet, but I will look into it.

Many thanks for the replies. I will be getting a video card upgrade, most likely the GTX 760. I have not tried OC because I am in a tropical zone with no AC yet, but I will look into it.

Well, with an aftermarket cooler, anything is possible of course. But if you unsure of clocking a CPU higher, you should still be fine at least for another year or so.

Hmm, do you have the fan speed setup to run based on CPU temps? It may not spin up very fast without hitting its usual temp range. Increasing that speed could reduce your temps pretty far, but I guess if you ambient temps are high its harder to do.

Also, with the pricing at least that I see on newegg, at that point you might as well get an R9 280X over a 760, its much more powerful and in the same price bracket (The cheapest 760 is $250 and the R9 280X start at $300). You would benefit from BF4 much more with that card and hit around 45-60 on ultra with MSAA down to 2.

I will take a look at the fan speed settings, should it be at 100%?
Ambient temperature is high though, combined with the desktop heat the room can get hot in less of 30 minutes of gaming.

I will take a look at the fan speed settings, should it be at 100%?
Ambient temperature is high though, combined with the desktop heat the room can get hot in less of 30 minutes of gaming.
Well depending on the motherboard, you can alot of times set the fan speed to auto ramp up based on temps and you can alot of times make it ramp up faster at lower temps. For instance, my friendes gigabyte board with the A10 on it can be set to ramp the fan speed by higher percentages depending on the temp of the processor to a max setting, or just manually max it out. Try checking the BIOS to see if the fans have profiles and such.

Back