TechSpot

New study says the most popular Android apps leave millions open to data attacks

By Justin Kahn
Aug 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A new study claims that a large portion of the most popular free apps on Google Play are highly vulnerable to malicious attacks. Security firm FireEye recently released a study suggesting that SSL vulnerabilities within these apps and the man-in-the-middle...

Read more
  2. What say you android fanbois? Are you going to attack Apple or defend this trash?
  3. Bannhammer

Bannhammer TS Rookie

It sounds like you're the only one attacking here.
  4. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 435   +76

Wow big talk there Mr "guest".
    Maybe if you understood anything about people that prefer android you'd realize that we know that risk and reward go hand in hand.

Also: FireEye said it "notified the developers, who acknowledged the reported vulnerabilities and addressed them in subsequent versions of their applications."

Looks like the problem is being taken care of already and at the same time please point me to a credible post on any forum anywhere about an android user that got hit by any of these potential vulnerabilities.
  5. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 120   +24

Prefer the attacks over the apple eco-system. BTW, why are you such a troll? Lame guest...
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

It sounds like the in-app advertisements made these apps most vulnerable. I'm curious if the paid-for apps faired better off than their ad-sponsored free version. I tried to follow the URL but the site went down.
  7. The preference for Android is born from the depths of irrationality.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

Proper Apple iSheep haven't got the brains to be neutral like us sensible Android and Windows users. :D
  9. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Booster Posts: 183   +31

hint: "sheep" is synonymous to portray the meaning of "masses" ... the masses (to the tune of 89%) of the world use Android. You have to change up your wording. The new sheep are Android users.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

The study doesn't tell us which of the most popular apps are vulnerable to attacks but I sure hope they've informed the devs responsible for the ones they've discovered. The only one I see in the above screenshot which I have is WhatsApp but seeing they're now owned by FB... I won't hold my breath.

Did you notice the use of the word 'proper' in front of iSheep? I wasn't referring to the general Apple users. You get Apple users and you get iSheep... there's a subtle difference.
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,685   +883

Maybe, but methinks not enough to matter.

Baaaa.....baaaa.....give me my mobile phone or give me death......(I don't care what brand it is).

[​IMG]

Call me....!

12. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 876   +22

They said it's true about email ssl and all of you who think your're safe with that on the pc. Don't know how that works. What if you just reassembled firefox (source there) using their certificate? Or just use the firefox certificate to decrypt other messages.
  13. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 383   +81

At least I didn't pay $800 for a logo cause I'm not an *****.
  14. Are you saying a Galaxy S5 is $800 cheaper than an Iphone?
  15. I'm neither, I am just waiting for a Linux powered phone :) free and open-source without groogle malware and spyware

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.