NEW to comps. Need Help With Future Comp Selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC727

Im looking to buy a computer from ibuypower but i know nothing about what video cards are good, i know how a computer wil run with the processor and the memory and i understand hard drives. but i need help with some other stuff. here is what im getting.

Raidmax Ninja-918 ATX Mid-tower Case Black w/450W Power Supply
(Using Standard Case Power Supply)
AMD Athlon-64 3500+ CPU

Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 PCI-E Motherboard

1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand

200 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

16X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

nVidia GeForce 6200 with turbocache supporting 256 MB w/DVI + TV out Video

MS Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack-2

Microsoft Works 8.0 (just until my freind gets me office)

7.1 Channel 3D Surround Sound

600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System (just for now)

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Cold Cathode Neon Light Green

Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive
PS/2 104 Key Windows 98 Keyboard
Microsoft Optical Intelli-Mouse 5-Button

TOTAL. 729.00 FREE SHIPPING

about the graphics card, the choices i have are. the add on price adds on to the total above.

nVidia GeForce 6200 with turbocache supporting 256 MB w/DVI + TV out Video

nVidia GeForce 7300LE 256 MB turbocache w/DVI + TV out Video (+ 11.00) would make the total 740.00

nVidia GeForce 6600 256 MB w/DVI + TV out Video (+ 30.00) would make the total 759.00

nVidia GeForce 7300 GS 256 MB w/DVI + TV out Video (+20.00) would make the total 749.00

QUESTIONS

i dont understand all of the GS, LE and whatnot. im thinking about just getting the 6600. i want to be able to play CS source and medal of honor with it looking good.

will the 7300LE work fine and why is it LE and why is it so much cheaper if it is a 7300 but the 6600 is 20 dollars more?

the combo drive that will do everything right burn cds and dvds and play them all in one drive correct?

thanks for all of the help.

First of all: nice config!
second: dump the 6200 TurboCache!!
you shuld never go for a TurboCache card because it has no memory so it "steals" the systems RAM!
The Gf 6600 is an preety old card, I recomend you take the GeForce 7600 GT, it's the current best buy. try the Leadtek PX7600GT, it costs around 160$ but it's worth it!
Or, if you want an ATI card you could go for a Radeon X1600XT it cheaper (130$) but also a bit weaker than the 7600GT.

The motherboard and the processor are based on the 939 platform. The new platform is AM2. Select an AM2 based motherboard and processor. On the graphics card i would go for an nvidia 6600 256mb at the minimum.

thanks for the help but there is no way i could add another 100 dollars on a card, you think i could manage well with somehting a little cheaper??

IBN- im doing this on ibuypower.com becouse i dont think i could manage buying my own computer and i think it would be more expensive plus i want the warranty and free shipping.

all they have is the 939. is that really bad?

here is the link to the configurator that im using. http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=69

EDIT:
if anyone has aim and could help me out through there i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

the 939 socket isent bad at all, the AM2 is just newer and thus suports newer CPUs, but a 939 will do perfectly fine.

as for the video card, go for the 6600, or for the X700, your choise.

note that these are not the world's best cards, but it will be enough to play all newer games at medium settings or lower, with a medium resolution.
eventualy next year you will want to change the card, because it will be too weak, and the upcoming DirectX 10 will come out, wich none card supports so far.So buy the PC, and upgrade to a new card when DX10 is out.

thanks for the help on the cards. my freind has a nvidia geforce 5700X would the 6600 be bettrer or worse then his becouse i like how his cs source looks when i played it.

and another thing about the AM2 socket, it equals out to 790 wich is too much for me, they dont seem to have it on the weekly specials becouse the weekly specials have free shipping so im looking into going with those.

is there a pentium computer that equals out to the 3500 AM2 socket?

The 6600 is better than his. I have and can run BF2 on the highest settings no problem. What exactly is your budget? To be honest I advise you to build your own comp. Its pretty easy and we can help you out too.

my budget is about 750 tops but i dont have any type of warranty if i build my own computer.

dop you go on aim or msn?

So wrong......

When you buy a computer you basically get a limitied 1 year warranty on all parts any labor. After that year your done.....bye bye.

When you build your own you have a much more stable warranty.....Each componant comes with its own warranty that blows any premaid's warranty out the window.

CPU 1-3 years......(1 year OEM 3 Year Retail)

Memory 1-Lifetime ( Most decent companies offer a lifetime warranty now)

Hard Drive 3-5 years (Depending on brand)

Motherboard 1-Lifetime

CD/DVD Drives - Usually 1 year or more

Power Supply - 1 year or more

Video Card - Most offer Lifetime warranties now

That one year warranty dont look too impressive now does it ?

its a 3 year warranty and i dont think i could build a computer or go through the trouble with it anyway, how much more would i be saving if i built one, if its not too much id rather just go with ibuypower

idk i dont think i really want to build one, is there anywhere that i can get a good prebuilt computer?

when i go to the configurator on alienware and chang eit to what i can get on ibuypower, then it is still cheaper on ibuypower. i think im just gonna go with them.

i think im just gonna go with the comp i posted above but with the 6600. it is right on my buget and i checked out those other websites and the ibuypower is still the best way to go.

and the whole socket thing i cant get the AM2 socket, the 939 with the DDR ram is still good right? i dont need to get the DDR2 do i? and will video cards that come out in the future that work with directX10 will be compatible with the 939 socket right?

Unfortunately, no. AMD has started to stop making some 939 processors, with others to be stopped soon. So you will find Socket 939 mobos & CPUs rare when DX10 comes out. But for now, 939 is not a bad bet. I myself use 939 and it's quite good. And yes, u will need DDR RAM, not DDR2. That is only for AM2.

damn, well i guess i can just get the 939 and use it for now, and keep the computer for college and other stuff, i cant really find anything where i can get the AM2 socket.

if anyone knows any other sites where i can config my own system or just buy a prebuilt system for a good price let me know. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back