New Video Card - Monitor Not Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar92

I just bought a new video card for my computer and prepared my computer for it. I uninstalled previous drivers and shut down the computer. I put in the new video card (NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT) and I don't get a picture on my monitor.

I take out the new card and put in my old one and everything works again. I have asked about this on the NVIDIA forums and didn't get a response on it :( Hopefully you guys can help me out.

SPECS:
Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard (No on board video)
550W PSU
1 Gig of Ram

Thank you for your time and any response will help :)

Couple of possibilities (welcome to the forum by the way)

Did you give the new graphics card it's own power cord connection from the PSU?

I am tempted to say then, that you have a DOA graphics card.

It could also be that your PSU isn't up to the task. Who makes it? How many amps on the 12v rail (it will tell you this info on the sticker attached to the PSU).

So you get nothing? No signal at all to the monitor?

You don't by chance have another system you can test that card in, do you?

DonNagual said:
I am tempted to say then, that you have a DOA graphics card.

It could also be that your PSU isn't up to the task. Who makes it? How many amps on the 12v rail (it will tell you this info on the sticker attached to the PSU).

So you get nothing? No signal at all to the monitor?

You don't by chance have another system you can test that card in, do you?

Currently I am away from my main computer at the time so I can't check PSU specs atm, but I can test it on a different computer tommorow or monday. But that also makes me worry, because the PSU is fairly new, from around January.

And I do get a signal, kinda, from the monitor. The light blinks like its on, but the computer is off. Also the computer boots up normally (Fans and lights turn on.

Darkstar92 said:
But that also makes me worry, because the PSU is fairly new, from around January.

It doesn`t matter if the PSU is fairly new or not. What really matters is the PSU quality, brand and amps on the 12V rail.

DonNagual said:

12v rail = 19A and its a Nspire PSU.

Hmmm. That is a little low, but should be enough to at least turn the system on. Nspire doesn't have a terrible reputation.

So, I would be leaning towards a dead graphics card at this point. To rule that out, you'll need to test it in another system.

DonNagual said:
Hmmm. That is a little low, but should be enough to at least turn the system on. Nspire doesn't have a terrible reputation.

So, I would be leaning towards a dead graphics card at this point. To rule that out, you'll need to test it in another system.

Alright. I got a comp I could test it on tommorow morning, but I'm not completly sure his PSU would take it. I'll get back to you later tonight or tommorow :(

Thank you very much for your help so far btw.

Ok, I got a new video card in the mail, same type and poped it in. I installed the new drivers and the computer is running, just I have messed up colors. Everything is yellowish - redish. Can anyone help me out on this?

I have the exact same problem with the exact same card. I got a new PSU with more than enough power to supply it but it still didn't resolve the blank monitor on start up.

So getting a new card fixed it for you? And I'm just curious, what exact card did you have? Mine is a Biostar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back