New virus???

By Maurice
May 4, 2004
  1. Yes, I know, I tend to "flap" each time a "new" virus has been announced on the media, & have sometimes been told before,by you techies, that it isn't new, and/or it's nothing to worry about.
    This one was announced on British TV news this morning, May 4th, they showed old footage [as usual] displaying the old "NT" countdown banner.
    What I am asking is, are they right, IS there a new virus?, & if so, is it an NT variant?, I ask, because a friend that I helped before with the NT virus, tried unsuccessfully, to get rid, using that patch again, also a patch for Blaster, or are they one & the same thing?
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

3. Maurice

Maurice Banned Topic Starter Posts: 646

Thanks Poertner, to the point as usual, I have forwarded this on to my friend, I shall probably go to Norman, & see if they have a patch for this Sasser worm, I heard that it shut down all the computers in a Lifeboat Association's HQ, causing chaos for half a day, & potentially putting lives at risk.

What IS it with these ******* *****s?
  4. Maurice

I went to Norman, & down-loaded what they called "Sasser-fix
    A-D" to floppy, I haven't run it yet, I haven't got Norman AV on this PC,[it's one on loan, whilst mine is in for repair] should I run it, or wait until the worm arrives, or wait 'til mine gets back [if it ever does, that's still an issue] advice please.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Well you don't need the "fix" if you aren't infected. See my post in the thread poertner linked it has a link to see if you are infected. If you aren't all you need is that patch. That you should have gotten several weeks ago.
  6. Maurice

Thanks, SNGX, didn't get the patch weeks ago, because I wasn't aware of it then, it was brought to my attention only days ago by a news item on British TV, probably because they were only reporting on the version D of ths worm.
    Yes, I knew of previous versions; Sasser A-C, but not version D,which I understand, is the one that all the current hoo-ha is all about. Also, this PC I have know has Windows ME, which as we know, is not affected, but when I get my own one back which has XP, I shall need it then.
    The other thing is, I believe I understood from TP & others in the past, that I can install it as a preveventative, or have I got that wrong?
  7. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 407

make sure you have a firewall set up as well. whether it be with the built-in windows xp firewall, hardware firewall, or software firewall. might as well since you should make it a little bit harder to get infected since your OS is already patched up.

if you are looking for a software firewall, i would recommend zonealarm because it is free and very good.
  8. Maurice

Thanks, Brown Paper [wow, brown paper, great, but why......?, but 'praps I'd better not ask!]
    As this PC is on loan, & has Win ME, it won't matter until I get mine back, see above.
    I will remember ZoneAlarm, though, haven't heard of that particular one.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.