New virus???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Yes, I know, I tend to "flap" each time a "new" virus has been announced on the media, & have sometimes been told before,by you techies, that it isn't new, and/or it's nothing to worry about.
This one was announced on British TV news this morning, May 4th, they showed old footage [as usual] displaying the old "NT" countdown banner.
What I am asking is, are they right, IS there a new virus?, & if so, is it an NT variant?, I ask, because a friend that I helped before with the NT virus, tried unsuccessfully, to get rid, using that patch again, also a patch for Blaster, or are they one & the same thing?

Thanks Poertner, to the point as usual, I have forwarded this on to my friend, I shall probably go to Norman, & see if they have a patch for this Sasser worm, I heard that it shut down all the computers in a Lifeboat Association's HQ, causing chaos for half a day, & potentially putting lives at risk.

What IS it with these ******* *****s?

Follow-up;-
I went to Norman, & down-loaded what they called "Sasser-fix
A-D" to floppy, I haven't run it yet, I haven't got Norman AV on this PC,[it's one on loan, whilst mine is in for repair] should I run it, or wait until the worm arrives, or wait 'til mine gets back [if it ever does, that's still an issue] advice please.

Maurice

Well you don't need the "fix" if you aren't infected. See my post in the thread poertner linked it has a link to see if you are infected. If you aren't all you need is that patch. [size=1]That you should have gotten several weeks ago.[/size]

Thanks, SNGX, didn't get the patch weeks ago, because I wasn't aware of it then, it was brought to my attention only days ago by a news item on British TV, probably because they were only reporting on the version D of ths worm.
Yes, I knew of previous versions; Sasser A-C, but not version D,which I understand, is the one that all the current hoo-ha is all about. Also, this PC I have know has Windows ME, which as we know, is not affected, but when I get my own one back which has XP, I shall need it then.
The other thing is, I believe I understood from TP & others in the past, that I can install it as a preveventative, or have I got that wrong?

make sure you have a firewall set up as well. whether it be with the built-in windows xp firewall, hardware firewall, or software firewall. might as well since you should make it a little bit harder to get infected since your OS is already patched up.

if you are looking for a software firewall, i would recommend zonealarm because it is free and very good.

Thanks, Brown Paper [wow, brown paper, great, but why......?, but 'praps I'd better not ask!]
As this PC is on loan, & has Win ME, it won't matter until I get mine back, see above.
I will remember ZoneAlarm, though, haven't heard of that particular one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back