New Windows 10 leak (build 9901) highlights more polished Cortana and new apps

By Jos
Dec 15, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As Microsoft prepares to detail new features coming to Windows 10 at a January press event, pre-consumer builds have already given us some glimpses at the next-gen OS. The latest, build 9901, includes a more refined design for Cortana and...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

It doesn't look too bad but I'll definitely take the final release for a thorough spin around the block before contemplating splashing out, unlike Win 8 which I coughed up for shortly after it's release without much thought and regretted it somewhat. It's had all it's updates so far but I still use Win 7 90% of the time.
  3. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

10s a decent improvement over 8, but I can't help but wish MS would stop focusing on their "App Store" so much. Yes I know, they want a slice of the pie, but it goes completely against the open-ness of the platform and what has made it so popular.
    Julio Franco likes this.
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

Looking good so far.
    I can see my new rig now...Windows 10, 4K monitor, X99 chipset, 8 core 16 thread i7 and a GTX with 8GB VRAM and atleast 6144 cuda cores. Hehehe.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Meanwhile the biggest requests since Windows 8.1 debuted are still ignored (tiles as desktop gadgets, return of real control panel with real controls, etc).
  6. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Addict Posts: 269   +138

They gotta do the app store like that for joe homeowner. The app store isn't for us. It's for our parents and neighbors. Those *****s need help installing software. As long as the police the malware a bit, the app store will be a good force in microsoft's eco-system. I'm not interested at all in the app store being the only way to load software however. That would be outright ridiculous.
  7. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 643   +226

"There are several new and updated Modern UI apps such as Camera, Calculator, Alarms, Remind Me, Photos, Contact Support and a Getting Started app."

Oh Joy!!!! I can hardly contain myself. New Metro UI apps for my desktop? Thank You!!!

Now, thats out of the way. What you have got for desktop users you #*#*#*#*#* chimps?!!!
  8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,023   +612

I like the dark theme, but if Microsoft learned anything, hopefully by release this will be closer to a cohesive UI design. Reinventing the UI wheel on every release is not a good idea, though I'm glad they are doing away with the Metro duality mess.
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  9. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Enthusiast Posts: 115   +21

"return of real control panel" I'm assuming you're referring to the W7 Control Panel. It's already there in W8/8.1. But of course if you actually tried using W8/8.1 you would have already known that.
  10. If they brought over and offered the xbox one exclusives only in the store, and left the multiplatforms, indies and other games that you normally get on steam, to steam/origin/uplay etc then that would be perfect. Think forza 5/h2 in 1440p/4K high/ultra settings at 60-120fps. Or whatever other exclusives pushed harder than its console counterpart.
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I'll keep my comment short.
    No Thank You!
  12. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 806   +270

Well I guess it would still be better than Windows 8.1. I would like them to:
    Bring the transparancy back or make taskbar the same color as windows. It always looks darker and I don't like it.
    Not remove the Control Panel from Windows 7 or if they did as some say, bring it back.
    Decide which icon design they are gonna use. Looking at metro and desktop icons at the same time makes my eyes bleed.

I still think that it would be the best if they added the option to choose between metro and traditional desktop look. It would save us all the hassle, them too. How hard can It be?
  13. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

True that. But at the same time, I don't think they should just go back to Windows 7 and just flatten it. I like what they are doing and hopefully it turns out well.