New Wireless Card, Unable to view Wireless Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a Gateway C-140 Tablet PC. It originally came with a Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless Mini PCI-E card. I did not have great luck dual booting into Linux with it so I purchased a replacement, the Gigabyte GN-WI01GT. The GN-WI01GT has a AR5005 GS Atheros 5th generation chipset.

This new wireless card works great in Linux now however I can not get it to work in Vista Home Premium (i know i know, but its the best OS for a tablet). Seems like I swapped my problems :(

I have talked with a Gigabyte tech and a Gateway tech.

The gigabyte rep suspected that the device needed to be enabled via a button on the side of the computer. On my tablet the button is using the function key and F2. I tried this and my wireless card was still unable to detect any wireless networks. He checked the driver version (7.3.1.42) which was the latest. The device is showing up in the device manager as enabled. Vista says the device is working properly. He also informed me I should not need any separate programs to connect to a wireless network like some manufactures do.

The gateway tech was of no use and basically asked me to check the FN + F2 to enable the device told me it was a 3rd party product and gave me a gateway pay by minute tech line.

Since the new card is functioning in Linux perfectly fine I find it hard to believe that it is something as simple as enabling the wireless using FN + F2 since you would think I would be require to do it in Linux as well before it worked.

I am somewhat familiar with Vista but not enough to know if I have checked every setting that could affect this issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If you need more information I will be happy to provide it for you.

Info Recap:
Old wireless card: Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless Mini PCI-E card
New wireless Card: GIGABYTE GN-WI01GT has a AR5005 GS Atheros 5th generation chipset
Windows Driver Version:7.3.1.42 Latest according to gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Communication/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2215 (sorry can't post links yet first post)

I came up with a semi solution and a semi diagnosis for this problem. I put BOTH cards in at once putting an antenna on each. I noticed that when I booted into windows that the wireless light showed it was still disabled and in fact it was disabled. I used the FN+F2 key to enable wireless and *POOF* both cards work in vista now.

So my guess is there was sort of hardware check that was disabling power to my wireless or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back