New York City bans TikTok from government devices; poll shows almost 50% of people want...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? New York City has joined the list of entities that have banned TikTok. The Chinese app is being banned from government-owned devices in the city over its China links. Jonah Allon, a spokesman for Mayor Eric Adams, said that the city's Cyber Command determined that it "posed a security threat to the city's technical networks."

As reported by The Verge, starting immediately, City employees are barred from downloading the app and accessing TikTok's website from any city-owned devices. City agencies must remove installed instances of the app within 30 days.

As per The New York Times, the ban comes just as the city's Department of Sanitation has amassed nearly 50,000 followers on TikTok.

TikTok's alleged ties with the Chinese government, which have been repeatedly denied by owner ByteDance, have led to the federal government and more than half of US states banning it from government workers' devices; the EU commission took similar action this year.

New York banned TikTok on state-issued devices back in 2020, though a handful of New York public relations platforms were still allowed to use the app for marketing purposes.

In March, the Biden administration gave TikTok an ultimatum: ByteDance had to sell the company to someone outside of China or be banned in the US.

Montana is the only state to have banned the app for everyone, not just on official devices. The decree is set to come into effect on January 1, though TikTok and some users are challenging the ban on the grounds that it violates the First Amendment.

It's not just the US government and various states who want a blanket ban on TikTok. A new Reuters/Ipsos survey of over 1,000 people found that almost half of participants (47%) said they at least somewhat support banning the use of TikTok in the United States. Fifty-eight percent of Republicans favored a ban, compared to 47% of Democrats, the poll showed.

Last year, FBI director Christopher Wray said TikTok could be China's best espionage tool. He added that Beijing authorities could manipulate content and use it for influence operations.

Permalink to story.

If they ban all other social media, I'll be in favor of a tik tok ban. They all do the same thing, but tiktok isnt a US company so now its le bad.

Also, something like 60% of zoomers are AOK with government cameras in their homes to "prevent crime", so that should tell you how smart the average voter is.

Also, something like 60% of zoomers are AOK with government cameras in their homes to "prevent crime", so that should tell you how smart the average voter is.
You've made that number up. There is no way you know or have surveyed 60% of people born in the 90's.

You've made that number up. There is no way you know or have surveyed 60% of people born in the 90's.
That's......not how survey numbers work. That would also assume that every person asked agreed to get that number, so double fail on your part.

You are right on one thing, I did lie. It's not 60%, its 30%

https://www.themainewire.com/2023/0...orts-in-home-government-surveillance-cameras/

This is the world you live in. Just wait till these guys get into office!

Count me in as voting for a TOTAL BAN. It's a useless app that has caused a lot of problems for young people and fails the test for trust & credibility, especially when it comes to truth in politics .... We did fine without it and will be better off when it's gone.

That's......not how survey numbers work. That would also assume that every person asked agreed to get that number, so double fail on your part.

You are right on one thing, I did lie. It's not 60%, its 30%

https://www.themainewire.com/2023/0...orts-in-home-government-surveillance-cameras/

This is the world you live in. Just wait till these guys get into office!
Two points: you don’t know how survey’s work and studies like this work. Whoever is doing a survey to prove something they already believe, selects a small group of (ideal) participants and takes the data from that and applies it to the entire population. You didn’t survey anyone and you certainly didn’t survey 100% or even 60% of the population. No one does, because it’s impossible and because it’s more difficult to shape the results when everyone from all walks of life has been surveyed. This quote from the URL you posted is what I’m taking about “The study surveyed 2,000 Americans”. How can you, with such bravado, claim you know what a large portion of the population thinks without actually talking to them?

3.3 million Americans is one percent of the population, 330,000 would be 0.1% and 2000 is less than 0.001%. No one should be making assumptions on a group of people they don’t know with such a small pool of data. I could tell this article was BS as soon as I saw the title contained:
[HEADING=2]“Study Shows”[/HEADING]
Anyone can make a study show whatever they want. If you asked 2000 4 year olds what the moon was made of a study could conclude 20% of the population thinks the moon is composed mostly of white chocolate with a few chocolate chip craters. What I got from the study is younger people don’t realize the full impact of their decisions or actually take on hardships for the greater good which isn’t unusual for anyone in that age group. It was that way in the 60’s and in the 40’s and pretty much always.

The source for the article you posted was a libertarian organization which of course would make assumptions that lean their way. That’s how politics work.

Your numbers are garbage and your sources are garbage. You shouldn’t be judging people you don’t know anyway, ever, and you shouldn’t be assuming something about a large group of people based on weak-a&& “research” from a biased organization that has something to gain by giving you the opinion you already have.

Back