Newbie here, PC running slow

Hello everyone ! I'm new here so I don't know where should this topic go so I apologize if I'm wrong.
So I just got a pc from someone and reseted windows. But my pc it's running slow and the cpu&disk C are 100% as soon as I start doing anything it spikes really badly. I don't know too much about pc's and softwares so I was wondering if there's someone with a lot of patience :D who could help me trying to figure what needs to be done as I don't have a clue from where to start and what to do.I can use teamviewer if needed. Thanks in advance

P.S English it's not my native language so don't be harsh on me ;)

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 v5 is nearly current version of this widely used motherboard. Go to makers' website and download and skim motherboard manual.

Go to https://www.computerhope.com/ for definitions and explanations.

Open case and inspect contents. Is it clean? (Plan an annual cleaning, but not just yet)

Please describe steps you took to 'reset' Windows.

You mentioned '100%' - is this on Task Manager? Did you sort CPU or Disk columns to see if a single app or process was the 'hog'?

If there is no 'hog', it could be Windows itself trying to swallow the Fall Creators Update (takes HOURS!!).

Once you answer we can consider next steps.

Steps to reset :Settings>Recovery>Reset This PC>Remove Everything
Yes it's 100% in Task Manager but not always only whenever I'm trying to do something like opening a game or something else. I'm unable to play games and everything else it's just laggy. I don't know too much about pc's so if you would like to have a look using team viewer that would be perfect
Thanks for quick reply :)

You mentioned '100%' - is this on Task Manager? Did you sort CPU or Disk columns to see if a single app or process was the 'hog'?

All look like a properly operating system. The 100% issue does not appear. The fact that you were not able to locate a 'hog' leads me to think you have Microsoft Windows 10 in the background doing update things (can take several hours). Your original post stated " But my pc it's running slow and the cpu&disk C are 100% as soon as I start doing anything it spikes really badly. " Let's see if we can catch that.

Select a program which causes the problem and run it in a window. Go to Task Manager in another window and set it up with 'processes' tab. Right click on 'Name' and expand columns to include PID, CPU, MEMORY, DISK, NETWORK and GPU. Sort on CPU column. Expand any general groups so you can see individual PIDs. Capture a photo of the offending modules and/or processes if you want to share that. Right click on the offender and examine properties. Share your findings.

ps You may wish to review this warning about TeamViewer before offering it too easily.
https://www.scmagazineuk.com/teamvi...-reddit-community-in-upheaval/article/531004/

Last edited:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Second button, create bootable media (CD or flash) and boot from the new media by changing boot order in bios/setup. Do a 'clean install', then make a recovery drive (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive).

Why do this? To eliminate possibility that problem is due to corrupted recovery partition.

If you feel this is not necessary (and it may not be), then (as previously indicated): Go to Task Manager in another window and set it up with 'processes' tab. Right click on 'Name' and expand columns to include PID, CPU, MEMORY, DISK, NETWORK and GPU. Sort on CPU column. Expand any general groups so you can see individual PIDs. Select a program which causes the problem and run it in a window. Capture a photo of the offending modules and/or processes if you want to share that. Right click on the offender listed in Device Manger and examine properties. Share your findings. "

Hi A clean install is the same thing as back to factory. You will be starting brand new. Creating a recovery drive after the clean install is a good suggestion by @Cycloid Torus. It's always nice to have that tool in your desk drawer.
I have one more suggestion to add. Learn how to create a back up image of your OS, with a 3rd party program. My choice is Macrium Reflect, but there are several good programs out there. Making regular images will make you a fearless windows user. I make at least one every month. Just made one after the last windows November update.
Let us know how things go.

Hi! A clean install of W10 is always good when the person has multiple problems. If not a clean install, then try @Cycloid Torus suggestions " But my pc it's running slow and the cpu&disk C are 100% as soon as I start doing anything it spikes really badly. " Let's see if we can catch that.
"If you feel this is not necessary (and it may not be), then (as previously indicated): Go to Task Manager in another window and set it up with 'processes' tab. Right click on 'Name' and expand columns to include PID, CPU, MEMORY, DISK, NETWORK and GPU. Sort on CPU column. Expand any general groups so you can see individual PIDs. Select a program which causes the problem and run it in a window. Capture a photo of the offending modules and/or processes if you want to share that. Right click on the offender listed in Device Manger and examine properties. Share your findings. "
PS Seagate is a excellent program for checking hard drives(y)

Some settings may be useful here (all just temporarily until you get control)
  • disable MS Search
  • disable Superfetch
  • disable MS Update
Alter the VM setting to be pair of equal, fixed sized to avoid dynamic pagefile expansion
Right-click Computer->Properties->Advanced Settings->Performance->Advanced
Under Virtual Memory=>Change
on the C: drive (*) Custom and set both values to the same number, typically 2-3x the real memory installed
Reboot

Now monitor CPU usage in the Task Mgr (view all processes) to find what program is consuming the highest.

Back