TechSpot

Newbie questions about Wi-Fi for a custom computer build

By LoneSword
Mar 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Okay, so I've recently been examining the Desktop PC Buying Guide for the past few days, particularly the Enthusiast's PC. The thing is, though, I have a very important question that makes me look like a total noob:

Do most motherboards have wireless internet capability already wired in?

I mean, as far as my knowledge goes, they don't. The motherboard on my Asus laptop is obviously made by Asus, while its Wi-Fi adapter is made by Intel, not to mention I've seen plenty of hardware Wi-Fi cards for the motherboard. The trouble is, I was reading in one of the articles about a motherboard that had Wi-Fi capability. Or, at least I THOUGHT it did; it's pretty likely I've misconstrued things a little.

That is question number one. Question number two is, assuming that the Wi-Fi adapter is NOT built into the motherboard, what would be a good middle-of-the-line Wi-Fi adapter to purchase? It'd probably be important to add that I'm a relatively hardcore gamer, and I'd like an adapter with reasonably uninterrupted connectivity, and pretty decent speed.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Don't worry, we were all once n00bs :D

Answer no. 1: NO. Even newer motherboards usually do not have wireless capabilities built int. But: more and more are hitting the market with Wi-Fi built in, that's for sure. High-end motherboards can sometimes have built in Wi-Fi connection, you'll notice a small antennae-connector at the back if that's the case. And such motherboards are getting more common by the day.

But the average motherboard does not have built in Wi-Fi.

Some other TechSpot hero will have to answer the second question :| , I'm not skilled with what to buy and what not to buy. But I can tell you some things to look for. As for radio physics, the more antennas your adapter has, the better the connectivity - and this is (close to) always the case. This does not mean that "one-antennae" adapters are bad, but I would personally select a multi-antennae adapter since I'm a hardcore gamer ;) .

PCIe-adapters will be more lag-free than ordinary PCI adapters, btw.

3. LoneSword

LoneSword TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

See, I figured that motherboards didn't have Wi-Fi built in...it just didn't seem like a motherboard would already come with something like that. I'm just surprised that the Desktop PC Buying Guide didn't include any recommendations for basic networking hardware. I suppose it's all a matter of preference, particularly of one's choice of internet.

As for your suggestions, that's a pretty good start. If I don't end up with any particular specs from anyone else, I'll probably just do some shopping. Much obliged. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.