Newbie questions about Wi-Fi for a custom computer build

LoneSword

Okay, so I've recently been examining the Desktop PC Buying Guide for the past few days, particularly the Enthusiast's PC. The thing is, though, I have a very important question that makes me look like a total noob:

Do most motherboards have wireless internet capability already wired in?

I mean, as far as my knowledge goes, they don't. The motherboard on my Asus laptop is obviously made by Asus, while its Wi-Fi adapter is made by Intel, not to mention I've seen plenty of hardware Wi-Fi cards for the motherboard. The trouble is, I was reading in one of the articles about a motherboard that had Wi-Fi capability. Or, at least I THOUGHT it did; it's pretty likely I've misconstrued things a little.

That is question number one. Question number two is, assuming that the Wi-Fi adapter is NOT built into the motherboard, what would be a good middle-of-the-line Wi-Fi adapter to purchase? It'd probably be important to add that I'm a relatively hardcore gamer, and I'd like an adapter with reasonably uninterrupted connectivity, and pretty decent speed.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don't worry, we were all once n00bs :D

Answer no. 1: NO. Even newer motherboards usually do not have wireless capabilities built int. But: more and more are hitting the market with Wi-Fi built in, that's for sure. High-end motherboards can sometimes have built in Wi-Fi connection, you'll notice a small antennae-connector at the back if that's the case. And such motherboards are getting more common by the day.

But the average motherboard does not have built in Wi-Fi.

Some other TechSpot hero will have to answer the second question :| , I'm not skilled with what to buy and what not to buy. But I can tell you some things to look for. As for radio physics, the more antennas your adapter has, the better the connectivity - and this is (close to) always the case. This does not mean that "one-antennae" adapters are bad, but I would personally select a multi-antennae adapter since I'm a hardcore gamer ;) .

PCIe-adapters will be more lag-free than ordinary PCI adapters, btw.

See, I figured that motherboards didn't have Wi-Fi built in...it just didn't seem like a motherboard would already come with something like that. I'm just surprised that the Desktop PC Buying Guide didn't include any recommendations for basic networking hardware. I suppose it's all a matter of preference, particularly of one's choice of internet.

As for your suggestions, that's a pretty good start. If I don't end up with any particular specs from anyone else, I'll probably just do some shopping. Much obliged. :)

Back