Newegg launches PC building service for an additional $99

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Newegg has rolled out a new option as part of its PC Builder configuration platform in which the company’s in-house team will assemble your newly purchased hardware into a finished desktop before shipping it your way.

For an additional $99.99, Newegg’s ENIAC Assembly Service will build your rig and submit it to “quality control methods and rigorous testing onsite.” Processing time is seven to 10 business days, and every build is covered under Newegg’s standard return policy.

While most PC enthusiasts shopping at Newegg likely prefer to build their own rigs, the retailer has identified a subset of customers that don’t fall into this category for various reasons. Perhaps someone is just now getting into computers and doesn’t have the experience needed to assemble their own rig, or maybe a company is configuring a fleet of systems and doesn’t have the time or resources to assemble everything.

The ENIAC team can turn out more than 1,000 builds per day, so there shouldn’t be any significant delays in processing time, assuming everything you purchase is currently in stock.

One potentially questionable practice involves what Newegg calls a “hot item,” or in-demand item. According to Newegg’s FAQ, these items can only be purchased with the PC Builder Assembly Service, potentially locking them behind a “paywall” or sorts. Here’s Newegg’s full explanation of hot items:

Products considered in-demand or a “hot item” product with limited supply can only be purchased with PC Builder Assembly Service or you cannot go through the checkout process. Hot items will not be the same throughout the day, this depends on the market.

To qualify for assembly service with your hot item, just add the following components to your build: CPU, Motherboard, Memory, Video Card, Case, Power Supply.

Permalink to story.

I can understand this, even in my thirties I still have people pay me to either build then a PC, help them build it or just watch them build it to make sure they don't make any mistakes. I usually charge people around $100 unless they're a close friend

At long last, their scummy bundles might actually make sense but I think they should reflect the prices to be even lower than their lottery events or reduce the 99 bucks assembly cost.

I probably still wouldn't bother, but given their reach as one of the only stores to ship international widely and with decent selection and site features (Something quite lacking on Amazon for example) it might be a better option if I want to recommend to someone wanted a gaming PC vs a regular system integrator.

Good service for novice users.

The people using this would not lose out on the enjoyment of doing it yourself as they don't how or don't care.
Would such a user even know what they need to make a build? Or does this just segue into Newegg selling prebuilt packages.

I don't see how $99 can make any profit for them, unless they do piss-poor job on the assembly. Most of assemblies need a lot of time, especially the ones with water cooling.
Upgrades, Add-ons and warranties to name a few.

Would such a user even know what they need to make a build? Or does this just segue into Newegg selling prebuilt packages.
I would think it would be prebuilt packages, or someone from newegg will walk them through the component selection process for the build?

I would think it would be prebuilt packages, or someone from newegg will walk them through the component selection process for the build?
Newegg will probably have a web page script that will do that. Besides, it looks like these builds will only be covered by a 30-day return policy. With such a crappy guarantee, why would someone not go to someplace like Dell or HP. Yes, I know there is not that much customization that can be done with Dell or HP, but a 30-day return policy?? Newegg must be smoking some great weed. 🤣

I don't see how $99 can make any profit for them, unless they do piss-poor job on the assembly. Most of assemblies need a lot of time, especially the ones with water cooling.
I think the key is the "Hot Items" that change throughout the day and are based on market. READ: At Our Discretion.
This way they can dump more product onto the consumer. While charging for the privilege to do so!
The current market has shown the lengths some will pay to get what they want. What is one more barrier? This is probably the thinking behind this.
Yes, it actually may help some who actually need or want the service. I am willing to bet that is less than 30% of their customer base. I could be wrong. Won't be the first time, nor the last!

I can understand this, even in my thirties I still have people pay me to either build then a PC, help them build it or just watch them build it to make sure they don't make any mistakes. I usually charge people around $100 unless they're a close friend

the only bad thing about this is you're now their 24/7 tech support for life LOL

the only bad thing about this is you're now their 24/7 tech support for life LOL
That is why you preface the built by saying you will not be providing support. As long as they know that from the start you are good. If they are someone that needs someone to call for 24/7 I send them to an OEM. And if they want support I charge $50 an hour :)

Last edited:
The key is let to them know ahead of time you charge so much by the hour for service calls that they don't want to call you and if they do, it's actually worth the effort. Normally I charge $57/hr(I think the weird number makes them think the price is real) then I just round it down to the nearest zero.

That is why you preface the built buy saying you will not be providing support. As long as they know that from the start you are good. If they are someone that needs someone to call for 24/7 I send them to an OEM. And if they want support I charge $50 an hour :)
You posted that while I was still typing. I only get a few calls a year so it's not really annoying.

Why don't they charge more than $100? If they did a good job assembling and testing everything, that service would be worth more than $100.

Why don't they charge more than $100? If they did a good job assembling and testing everything, that service would be worth more than $100.
So I think the benefit is they capture the whole bill of materials. If you were building your own you might buy parts from different places - this means the entire bundle goes to them (and I'm sure that would include some random crapware components which are unusually high margin).

Seems a smart move, especially for people who are either time short, or have a fear factor around some part failing and having to troubleshoot then go through warranty/exchange process.

$99 would be a very, very small profit, or even a small loss. However, this offset big-time by the fact that they just opened up the door to sell all the parts needed to build a rig to people who probably weren't Newegg component purchasers before.

Back