Newly built computer Boot up trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i recently built a computer and having some problems with boot up. the problem seems to start when i put in the winxp installation disk. it seems to freeze the system. if i restart the computer with the disk in, it will just freeze up the start up screen cant enter bios or boot sequence and i hear no beep. if i take the disk out starts up fine with the beep. also there is a weird beeping coming from my case. it starts out with 1 beep then 2 beeps 19 times then back to 1 and then stops. what could that be?

specs are
AeroCool Coolview case
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
512 ocz ram
antec 350 psu
maxtor 80gb

AMI BIOS beep codes:

Beep Code Descriptions
1 short DRAM refresh failure
2 short Parity circuit failure
3 short Base 64K RAM failure
4 short System timer failure
5 short Process failure
6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
7 short Virtual mode exception error
8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
11 short Cache Memory error
1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

patio. :cool:

I can think of 3 common problems that cause this - but for the specifics you need to consult your motherboard manual:

1) Power supply problems
2) Memory problems
3) Network problems

;)

well at first i thought it was the beep code sequence but i can hear the single beep when it starts up while the other beeping is going on. it sounds like its comin from the front of my case.

xiix said:
well at first i thought it was the beep code sequence but i can hear the single beep when it starts up while the other beeping is going on. it sounds like its comin from the front of my case.
That is most likely where you PC speaker is located. Makes sense.

well i decided to take out the memory and started it up and the beep sequence started for memory PLUS the other weird beeping so much beeping gave me headache =(

What video card are you using? (3.3V?)

Which Antec PSU do you have?

Do you have one stick of 512MB or 2 X 256MB or 4 X 128MB?

What happens if you disconnected the optical drive (what is it? CD-ROM, DVD-RAM ….) Make and model please.

Heat sink, fan and thermal paste used = ....

If the beeps sound like a siren, it could mean bad/ wrong BIOS and/ or flash but that should give no POST

I would check the Manual Page by page, line by line against your setup and configuration.

It sounds like your CPU is overheating. Check your heatsink installation. Did you use thermal grease?

video card is a radeon 9800 pro 128mb

psu is antec 350w atx12v smartpower

the heatsink, fan and thermal came with the processor

1 stick of 512mb

the cd drive i am useing a cdrw drive by atapi

will go over the manual tonite after work and prolly start from scratch and see what happens

the majority of the beeping you are hearing is from the fan controller lcd panel thing on the front of the aerocool coolview case. mine is completely configured and still beeps during startup. i didnt count the beeps so i cant tell you exactly what the beep sequence is for the case lcd panel. (really wish i could disable the stupid beebing, it seems to do it randomly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back